Radisson SAS

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Radisson SAS

I may have entered this on the wrong board. I apoligize if this is a duplicate. I would like to find out if the Radisson SAS in Amsterdam is in a convenient and safe neighborhood.
thanks
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 01:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it is. It is between the Red Light District and the Rembrandtplein area in a quiet part of town. I hear it is a nice hotel. Make sure you book the Radisson SAS on Rusland (the name of the street) and not the Radisson SAS which is close to the airport in the middle of nowhere.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 04:15 AM
AC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peggy:
I stayed there in June 2001.
Loved this hotel. The staff was wondeful. The rooms we fine. There were a few different Decors. The room I was in had beautful wicker type furniture and a very comfortable bed.
Breakfast was included and more than adequate Believe me!!
We were able to walk all over and the the area was very safe. We were walking late into the evening because the weather was great and because if the time of year we were there, it was dusk until about 11PM!

Enjoy Your visit to my favorite European City!
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 06:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stayed there 2 years ago. It is an excellent hotel in a good location.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Bootman4U

Believe me, all the neighborhoods in Amsterdam are probably safer than what some of us are used to here..the SAS is a very nice hotel and fairly well-located, too

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 03:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, it is in a good neighborhood but I thought the place was a dump.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 02:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO the Radisson SAS is quite nice, though room size is variable and service pretty spotty (a general problem at Radisson hotels). The location, though very central, is not especially attractive though. It's right next to the red light district and the surrounding streets can be a little depressing (I recall a "coffee" (marijuana) shop right on the same street as the hotel.

In the same hotel class, I would recommend the Hilton and Bilderberg Garden hotels, both in the very upscale and safe residential Nieuwe Zuid area. All the tourist attractions are easily reachable by public transportation. The Okura is another possibility, although it may be more expensive and is a little less central.

If you prefer a busier, more central but still pleasant neighbourhood, the historic American Crowne Plaza is a good choice. Other hotels in the same area (Leidseplein) include the Marriott and the NH Amsterdam Centre.

Hope this helps,
Andre

www.hilton.com
www.bilderberg.nl
www.okura.com
www.crowneplaza.com
www.marriott.com
www.nh-hotels.com
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 06:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would recommend a canal view room at the Estheria Hotel...It is in an excellent area of Amsterdam, within walking distance to the flower market, shopping and Dam Square...I stayed there a few years ago and just loved it!! Great buffet breakfast too.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all so much. We leave next month and tonight, I'm checking out some of the other possibilities mentioned and may still end up at he Radisson. I appreciate all the imput.