Search

Fita Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fita Hotel

Some months ago I obtained info on Fodor's about the Fita Hotel in Amsterdam. We have never been to Amsterdam.

Our plans have now gelled and we plan to spend 6/7 days in Amsterdam in the third or fourth week of April. The rate at this hotel is fine. We wanted to be in a nice, safe area, near the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh, etc.

1.Please confirm that the Fita will meet our expectations. How soon should I make reservations?
2.If you could offer one comparable hotel with similar features to Fita that would also be appreciated.

No websites please. Thanks!!
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Hi, Powell.
We have not stayed at the Fita, however we have stayed two streets over on PC Hooftstraat once, on Tesselschadestraat once, and on Roemer Vischerstraat several times. These are all small streets situated between Leidseplein, Vondelpark and Museumplein.

This is a fantastic area to stay in, very charming/characteristic buildings, plenty of shops and cafes and tram stops, and tree-lined streets. Most things are in walking distance - you may prefer a tram to reach Anne Frank house and the Dam Square area, otherwise it is very convenient.

The pictures and room rates for the Fita are similar to our latest hotel, which is Hotel Hestia. The Fita's rooms appear to be a bit larger and the prices are about 10-15€ higher, so it is probably an excellent choice. I recall that the hotel receives high marks from most reviewers, including this forum, as you've said.

I would make reservations as soon as they're being accepted, as that is a popular, well-known hotel.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Type Fita into the search box at the top of the page, and several messages from the archives will appear on the left hand side of the page.

We stayed at the Fita about a year ago. The hotel was fine. It's on a quiet street. There's an elementary school across the street which makes for a little hustle and bustle in the morning and afternoon, which was not at all a problem. The owners are friendly and professional. They will lend you their laptop to take to your room, and phone calls to the US are free. The breakfast buffet is good.

One caveat: our room was on the ground floor and had bars with a rusty lock on the window. We may not have been able to get out of the room in case of an emergency. I would request a room on the first floor or above. Other than that, I would stay there again. Make your reservation as soon as your dates are firm as the hotel is popular.

There's a big (underground) supermarket close by and we stumbled upon this restaurant, where we ate two nights out of three in Amsterdam. Don't miss it.

http://www.diningcity.com/ams/concertje/
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:00 AM

I've stayed at the Fita several times and would happily return. The only thing I might say is that for a week, you might want to consider an apartment.

Fita's rooms are large, the bathrooms are great, and the breakfast is friendly and a great start to the morning. The location couldn't be better. It's out of the noise patterns but just a block to the tram stop and the Van Gough Museum. Maybe 2 or 3 blocks to Leidespleine and Vondelpark.

Enjoy Amsterdam. It's a wonderful city.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. We are going to go ahead with our plans.

If ever I can reciprocate please call on me.

Merry Christmas!

Anthony
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 09:30 AM

well, you know what we all say....
"where's the trip report?!?!"