Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Radda in Chianti to Venice. Drive or train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read many comments here about this driving route and it sounds like it's not a problem. This probably sounds crazy but my group of 6 are doing Venice in 1 day. Our trip began as Tuscany/Rome but 4 of us have not been to Italy and they really want to see Venice now. We're going to bite the bullet and day trip with the possibility of spending the night in Mestre and heading back first thing in the morning.

I have checked train schedules and viamichelin.com. The train including extra time for driving to the train station in Montevarchi will take about 5 1/4 hours. The drive from our hotel to one of the parking structures in Venice will take about 3 1/2 hours.

My questions are:
Is the drive really 3 1/2?
Is it some what stress free? We will have a navigation device.
Is changing trains in Florence easy?

Thank you
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:07 AM

Hi TammiDe,
Last year we made the drive from Tuscany to Venice. As luck would have it there was a strike of some sort. The workers blocked the highway we were taking and we had to take a detour.
We had a most memorable day driving the most exquisite mountain roads, stopping at a lovely little mountainside restaurant, arriving in Venice in time for a thunderous lightening storm. While
it wasn't what we planned, we will never forget our drive to beautiful Venice. Yes, it's worth the drive...
Venice is breathtaking!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:24 AM
ira

Hi TD,

If you already have a car, it will be cheaper, and easier, than taking the train.

>This probably sounds crazy but my group of 6 are doing Venice in 1 day. <

When are you going? Doing this during high season is not recommended.

It will be crowded, uncomfortable and you will likely not enjoy it.

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you robin23 and ira.

ira, We will be going either 5 or 7 June which I know is the start of high season. These 4 people will feel that they've missed something if we do not go! It's too bad that they didn't voice their opinions about going there earlier in the planning process.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Any one else with answers to my questions? Thank you.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM

We've driven from Venice to Tuscany on two separate trips, once to San G. and once to southern Tuscany, which are both south of Radda in Chianti; I would guess that 3 1/2 hours seems about right. Of course, we were driving from one place to the other, not doing a day trip. Check mappy.com as well for their estimates of drive times; I find both websites to be pretty reliable. The drive is quite easy; the part between Venice and just south of Bologna is flat and straight and somewhat scenic; the part south of there is more windy, but very scenic! The part of the drive around Florence is a little congested, but not badly so.

If only 4 of the group wants to visit Venice, then only those 4 should go. I would opt for spending the night in Venice, not Mestre, then returning to Tuscany the next morning, but that kind of depends on how much time you have in Tuscany and Rome.

I would definitely say to drive instead of taking the train, to save time and probably money as well, especially if you already have the car rented. (One car for 6 people? Or have you rented a var? Or 2 cars?).

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Lexma90, I have a better idea about how this drive will go now. We have rented a 7 passenger Van.