Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rabbies Tours from Edinburgh? Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2017, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are three tours that I'm interested in. I only really have one day to take advantage of any of the three tours.

Anyone have any suggestions as to which one I should do? I like all of them but if you had to choose just one or if you have gone on any of them, which would you recommend?

- Lock Lomond National Park and Stirling Castle
-Alnwick Castle, North Umberland Coast and Borders
-St. Andrews and Fishing Village

Of course, suggest others if you feel out of these three, there are better options.

Any help would greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 06:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It would be REALLY hard for me to pick one over the other. All 3 are great itineraries.

Rabbies puts a lot of thought into their itineraries so they all have a 'wow' factor and are not too rushed. You honestly cannot go wrong with any -- and if anyone says one would be better that would just be their subjective opinion.

Just decide if you are more interested in St Andrews -- not just golf BTW -- and some lovely harbor villages; the Border Abbeys and Alnwick Castle/Garden; or Stirling Castle and some lovely scenery (It is Loc<B>h</B> Lomond BTW)
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 07:18 AM

I could easily drop out Alnwick, leaving only Loch Lomond and St. Andrews to choose from.

If it were me, I'd look to the weather on the day before deciding anything. Not much point in doing either if the weather is bad, might as well spend the day in Edinburgh where there is plenty of interest to see and do indoors.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 07:28 AM

It might be difficult to get on one of Rabbies tours the day before as they are very popular and fill up quickly. In regard to the weather, it's Scotlandand, and I've learned over some 20 years that you don't let it dictate your plans or bother you.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 08:49 AM

Umberland?
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 08:50 AM

No - you cannot wait until the day/day before. These are small groups and once the van is full you are SOL.

BTW - the Borders trip does cover more than just Alnwick
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 08:51 AM

>> Umberland?<<

I was going to cut the OP some slack
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 12:53 AM

Last October from Edinburgh we took 3 day trips. After weighing all the options, we chose Timberbush over Rabbies because my husband thought he might get less motion sick in a larger bus, which Timberbush would use if size of group warranted. I've heard mostly only good things about both tour companies. Here's my take:

1. We went to Stirling on our own and it was terrific--got a train, walked through town to the castle, had a tour in the castle, spent all the time we wanted, came home. Loved it.

2. Went to Loch Ness/Glencoe/Highlands with Timberbush. Long and beautiful day. Great guide. However, DH felt bad anyway, just not being suited to bus rides on windy roads, so...

3.We had a tour planned with Timberbush for Alnwick/Lindesfarne/Northumberland. He didn't want to get back on van/bus. I went alone. Rode a smaller van. Loved every minute of it, even though this was only rainy day I had. Alnwick was amazing.

So--I'd recommend Stirling first, with or without a tour group. If you want to see much of the countryside, I guess you'd better use a tour.

Second, I'd recommend any tour that includes Alnwick.

Of course, as you see I don't have experience with St. Andrews, but I'd highly recommend Stirling et al first and Northumberland/Alnwick second.

Whichever you pick will be terrific; whichever you don't is a reason to return.
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 04:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
texasbookworm, Stirling on your own is a great recommendation. We did it with Timberbush and it was our least fav day tour ever. We so wished we had stayed in Edinburgh and seen more there. A long day on the bus. We opted out of the boat ride and walked Lock Lomond at least. No time to explore the village of Stirling.

I would do the St Andrew's tour.