Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip tours from Edinburgh, which company to go with???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again

I am thinking of cutting our 2 days in Alnwick to 1 and have an extra day in Edinburgh. We are there 3 nights but only 2 days. 1 day doing the castle, Holyrood House, St Giles.
2 day Stirling castle and Bannockburn.
I spotted a tour to Fort WIlliam, Glencoe etc and I loved it last time I was there. Thought it would be nice for my husband to see it.

Is there a reputable day tour company that anybody could recommend?

Or any highland suggestions for 1 day tour??

thanks Deb
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 04:05 AM

Deb, do you mean you are only actually spending one day in Edinburgh - all on one street ?! There's a lot more to the place than the Royal Mile, you know !

Anyway, to answer your question, I've seen several good reviews in the past for Rabbie's Trail burners - www.rabbies.com. I see they have a 'Loch Ness, Glencoe & the Highlands Tour'. To me it's a long way to go for a day, in a minibus, but each to their own !
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 10:10 AM

We did tours with Rabbies and were very happy. If you can get a tour with the guide Donnie, do it. If we had the money, we'd go back and hire him for a personal guide for the whole trip.
Have fun!
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

I am only in Edinburgh for strictly speaking for 2 days.
So I thought Castle and Holyrood (anything else) 1 day.
Stirling castle, Rosslyn Chapel, Bannockburn on the 2nd day.
But I was thinking I really am staying in Alnwick as a stopover on the way to York and only want to see the castle in Alnwick use 1 of the 2 days I had panned there and have the extra day in Scotland.
I knew it would be a bit of a drive to the highlands but last I went I was on a tour and as you are on a bus alot you don't realise the distances of places. I also saw an advert for day tours to the highlands and thought I wpuld ask the question. Thought about Blair Castle too but I have seen that and it is lovely but thought something more natural like the highlands might be better. Any suggestions??

And thanks for the recommending Rabbies Tours. If I don't use them this time I will (hopefully)plan a trip with just Scotland in mind. I am hoping my husband will get the travel bug.

thanks again Caroline & Lauricelli!
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 02:54 PM

There are a number of day tours from Edinburgh to various parts of the country. You may wish to look through the following to see those which could interest you. It also depends on when you will be coming to Edinburgh and which tours are available during the two days you are in Edinburgh.

www.graylinescotland.com

www.timberbush-tours.co.uk

www.scotlinetours.co.uk

www.heartofscotlandtours.co.uk

www.highlandexplorertours.com

www.rabbies.com

www.haggisadventures.com

I would think that as you wish to see Stirling you could combine it with a tour of Loch Lomond / Trossachs but I do not know of any tours which combine Roslin / Stirling / Bannockburn.

As has been mentioned by Caroline Rabbies have been getting some good reviews.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your help. We are in Edinburgh 17th - 19th June. I actually like Edinburgh over London so I will have to get back for an extended visit.

Happy New Year!!
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:14 AM

You are in Edinburgh for 2 days, yes - but spending one of them outwith Edinburgh ! Most people recommend at least 2 or 3 days to see the sights here - you've evidently been before, though ?

How are you planning to do Stirling castle, Rosslyn Chapel & Bannockburn in a day - will you have a car ?
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 07:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Am I correct that you have been to Edinburgh before, but your husband hasn't? I personally would not want to spend half of my only two days in Edinburgh going somewhere else.

Do you start your trip in Edinburgh and then head south into England - or are you coming in to Edinburgh from some other part of the UK? What does the rest of your itinerary look like?

I am a bit confused by &quot;<i>Thought about Blair Castle . . . . . . . but thought something more natural like the highlands might be better.</i>&quot; Blair Castle is in the Highlands.