Travel and sights in Sotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a scheduled tour, I will be staying an additional 7 days in Scotland (Edinburgh) to do some genealogy research (late April and first week of May). Looking for some ideas that would include viewing castles, countryside, any historical buildings/architecture, great pubs and food. Love to walk around, willing to rent a car or travel by other means. Any ideas/help will be appreciated and thanks.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 09:05 AM

Scottish Borders, which are about 50-60 miles south of Edinburgh. Mostly small towns and villages. Castles, ruined ones as well as ones that are lived in. Ruined abbeys, historic houses, beautiful countryside, rolling hills, not as wild as the highlands. Some nice pub grub and accomodation in most places. The weather should be getting a little warmer at that time of year, but still take a sweater and warm jacket.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 09:23 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Where is your tour taking you? It would be good to know so we don't suggest places you'll already have been.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 09:27 AM

With such limited time and probably wanting to base in Edinburgh day trips by train from there would be great - check out Stirling and its famous castle, the Borders Abbeys area talked about above (new train line makes getting there easy) and St. Andrews for nice old town, seaside and golf.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 09:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes -- you need to tell us where you will be prior to Edinburgh.

In the meantime check out the offerings on Rabbies https://www.rabbies.com

They offer terrific 1 to 5 days small group tours from Edinburgh to all the main regions of Scotland. they use small vans and go to places large tours don't.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 09:50 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
There's a pub in front of Greyfriars church & cemetery called Greyfriars Bobby, on Candlemaker Row with a statue of Bobby in the median in front. It used to be owned by my father-in-law and is convenient if Greyfriars interests you. If you happen to go in or walk past, say hello to the spirit of John for me please.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 11:50 AM

Culroos and the East Neuk area would make a good day's outing:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7623437796997/ and subsequent pictures
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 01:29 PM

>>Culroos<<

Culross

Yes - but difficult unless you have a car. Otherwise it will be train to Dunfermline then a 1 per hour bus.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions-
Michael your pictures are beautiful.

Scheduled trip/guided tour will go to Glasgow, Glencoe, Isle of Skye, Loch Ness, Culloden, Scottish Highlands,Pitlochry, St.Andrews and then Edinburgh. I will be based in Edinburgh after the tour for 7 days for research.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 03:52 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Here our recent trip report with photos (skip the London part).

You could visit Stirling Castle, Doune Castle (don't forget the coconuts) and Inchmahome Priory (hopefully on a beautiful day) as a day-trip (albeit a busy one) from Edinburgh. Check out Chapter Eight...lots of photos, too.

We really wanted to see Rosslyn Chapel, but ran out of time. It looks gorgeous and will be on our short list for next visit. Maybe we'll run into Tom Hanks.

In Edinburgh, a couple of places we really liked that get not too much mention are St. Cuthbert Parish Church. and the surrounding graveyard. On a misty day, it was very cool. Dean Village is also a spot many people neglect to se in Edinburgh. (Chapter Seven). Also in Chapter Seven is our visit to Calton Hill and the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, both highly recommended.

High Tea at Prestonfield House (taxi ride from Edinburgh) was a superb and memorable experience...bring an appetite. The grounds are simply spectacular, and be sure to say "hello" to the colorful peacocks. (Chapter Six)

Want a little whisky (and really, who doesn't)...on the Royal Mile stop at Cadenhead’s, which purports to be the oldest independent bottler in Scotland (1842).

We did like the food (and beer) at Greyfriars Bobby (Chapter Five).

Also enjoyed a stop at Deacon Brodie’s pub on the Royal Mile (also Chapter Five. I liked its purported history. From my report: "It seems William Brodie was a Deacon Councillor of Edinburgh who also possessed a dark side. By day he was an outwardly respectable citizen and pillar of society, but by night ‘he was a gambler, a thief, dissipated and licentious.‘ To support his lavish lifestyle, Brodie would copy the keys of his wealthy clients and return at night to rob them. He escaped to Amsterdam in the Netherlands after being recognized at the scene of one of his crimes only to be caught and returned to Scotland. He was hanged from the city’s new gallows at the Tolbooth (which ironically it is said he had a hand in designing) on 1 October, 1788.” Brodie served as the inspiration for Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic, “The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.”

Have a great trip. Loved Scotland...as I'm sure you can tell.

<B>http://travelswithmaitaitom.com/londonscotland-2017/</B>

Old Jan 4th, 2018, 04:42 PM

So to clarify, you're looking for day trips from Edinburgh? Or would you be willing to spend one or two nights away from the city during the seven extra days?
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I would be willing to spend one or two nights away from the city (Edinburgh).
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 06:49 PM

Then definitely look into Rabbies tours. They do several 1 and 2 day-er's

One 1 day trip does Rosslyn Chapel and the Borders, another does Stirling, the Kelpies and Loch Lomond. Or The Borders + Hadrian's Wall. Many to choose from. One really good looking one includes Linlithgow, Culross and Doune.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 09:24 PM

The Borders cry for at least an overnight--there are several ruins of abbeys to see, several castles, and Rosslyn Chapel on the way or going back to Edinburgh.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7623437796997/ and subsequent pictures.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 09:30 PM

The Borders is a bit easier now that there is rail access. But without a car it isn't the easiest area to tour. If you're able to rent a car I'd definitely consider a 2 days trip into the Borders -- that would be totally different than the areas you toured earlier.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 05:32 AM

I'd agree re the Borders, but given your priorities (<i>...ideas that would include viewing castles, countryside, any historical buildings/architecture...</i I'd also strongly suggest the Berwickshire and Northumberland coast, from picturesque St. Abbs all the way down to Alnwick.

You've got rocky seashore, picture-book villages, stunning castles at Bamburgh, Craster (Dunstanburgh Castle) and Alnwick, the almost mystical village of Lindisfarne (Holy Island) reachable only at low tide, local fish and cozy pubs...

You could take the coast route south, then swing inland on the return, visiting some of the Border towns like Kelso, St Boswells, and Melrose with various ruined abbeys, Roslin, etc. Use the A-Z guide on Undiscovered Scotland - https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ - to research these places.

Here's a map showing a loop trip that would probably be best with two overnights, depending on how many of these places you want to visit in depth. https://goo.gl/maps/JRfLfqJT6FB2 . In the spring this would be a superb wee road trip.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 01:39 PM

Cars are nice but sans car I went by bus rather easily to three great old abbeys - Melrose, Jedburg and Dryburgh - all close togehter with good bus service from that train line. I day tripped in and easly saw all three.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 02:02 PM

If you are limited in time, try to visit Cramond during low tide. It has nice atmosphere in morning.
https://www.google.cz/search?q=cramo...w=2048&bih=994