Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions for Paris shopping fans and experts!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fellow Paris Shopping Mavens!

Just wondering if you had any shopping tips for Paris. I'm curious about the following:

1) Is it true that French perfume you buy in France is different than the French perfume sold in the U.S.? I read somewhere that the concentration of fragrance used was different. Rumour??

2) On that note: best places to purchase fragrances in Paris?

3) Does the 10% Foreigner Discount apply to Bon Marche? (Or just limited to Galeries Lafayette and Printemps?)

4) The best place to shop for cutting-edge, up-and-coming French designers (clothing and shoes)? Marais district or another more out-of-the-way area? I am willing to travel for the latest talent...

Thank you for your help!! Salut!
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:32 PM

If you are really a shopaholic i recommend you pick up a copy of "Where to Wear - Paris" by Jill Fairchild and Gerru Gallagher - they have them for London, NY, etc too. The 2005 version is available.
Or "A Shopper's Guide to Paris Fashion" by Alicia Drake.
I like these much better than the Susie Gershon books.

For fragrance you can of course go to one of the "biggies" like Chanel or Guerlain.
Or try Frederic Malle Editions de Parfum in the 6th - his scents are now available in some parts of the US but the Paris store is really interestig - you enter these sort of tubes to inhale the scents.
Or Annick Goutal (my fav), in the 6th and the 1st. Just really, really nice scents - I love Eau de Sud and Eau d'Hadrien because they are citrusy and light.
Maitre Parfumeur - small "house", mainly heady floral scents. In the 7th and also the 1st.
And a unique experience can be had at Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido in the 1st - gorgeous shop. Serge Lutens has created the perfumes for Shiseido.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Taggie!
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:46 PM

Catherine, 7 rue de Castiglione, sells perfume at discount prices. Run a search here, and you will probably find lots of good reports about that shop.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Grandmere!
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:17 AM

As far as I know the fragrances in the States and Europe have a different alchool base. I find the European ones better, in some instances my nose even perceives them differently. Also, I think they last longer.
I heard about Catherine but I've got mine at Galleries Lafayette with the 10% discount and I was happy enough. I'm always wary about discounted fragrances since they have an amazing short shelf life (about 6 months to 1 year I heard).
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Luli,

That's interesting about the perfume...my cousin said the same thing about chocolates, in fact. She said the Godiva chocolate produced for the American market was different than that for the European market. (And the European version is suppose to be much better.) Hmmm, we Americans are getting "cheated"...
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:01 PM

I'm one of the Catherine shop fans, if you're planning on buying more than one item, or gifts, the more you spend the more discount you get, plus they usually throw in some nice samples. Another good place is Michel Swiss on Rue de la Paix.

I believe that the Godiva chocolates that we buy in the US are made here, Godiva is owned by one of the big food companies.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:02 PM

FYI, Godiva is a wholly owned subsidiary of Campbell Soup.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 11:34 AM

Elaine, I was pleased with Michel Swiss several years ago, and i think you're the first person I've seen here to mention it. I thought maybe it no longer existed. How do you compare it to Catherine? I've used Catherine most recently.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 03:54 PM

I haven't been to Michel Swiss for a few years, but probably will go again in January. Michel Swiss has some non-perfume items such as scarves, umbrellas, and some little affordable gifty items like Roger et Gallet soaps.
Catherine's was strictly perfumes and cosmetics I believe. MS is a larger shop as I recall, Catherine's smaller and a bit more congested. What I liked at Catherine was the samples they threw in at the end. Both places are happy if you spend the required amount, and my refunds did come through.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 03:55 PM

LOL!

Not only are they 'happy if you spend the required amount', what I meant to say was,
they are happy to do the VAT refund paperwork if you spend the required amount!
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:06 PM

What's the required amount? It will be my first time going to Paris.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Assuming you're not from a country in the European Union, you have to spend 175 euro in the same store in the same day, and they have to be items you will take home with you. You have to fill out some paperwork, have the paperwork stamped at the airport when you are leaving, you may have to show the listed items (so don't pack them in checked luggage). You mail the stamped paperwork either at the airport, or from home, and then you wait for the credit to our credit card account. Some people say they've had trouble getting refunds/credits; I have not.
for more info see
www.globalrefund.com
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:02 PM

I second going to Catherine's. Please ask for Fanny. We found this shop reading the Suzy Gershon book on Paris. It was the best stop. I always stop there to pick up some new perfume. This past March, my sister and I took our picture with Fanny. Fanny has a great nose to see what scent is good for you. Go first thing in the morning and it won't be as crowded as it does later on.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cathrine also carries handbags..or she did before. Fanny is the daughter of the owner.