Questions about Romantic Road

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one know why this area in Germany is called the Romantic Road? Is this a name someone gave it from the Romantic Era? If you have any clues, I would be interested.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 05:07 AM

I read in some guidebook that it was to help spur tourism. Gives people planning vacations a themed itinerary. The same with all the other "roads": Castles road, Fairytale Road, etc.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 06:03 AM

Because you will fall in love with the region and want to keep going back and back and back and back
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 06:10 AM

Hate to be a wet blanket, but the name derives from the fact that this was a road originally built by the Romans.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 10:21 AM
JMM

Seamus is wrong Rufus is essentially correct. It is NOT a specific road but rather a route through some of the most attractive and interesting parts of Germany. And it is really quite worth doing.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 10:56 AM

I'm no expert about this, but I have been planning my own trip there lately and found this info at http://www.germany-tourism.de<BR>(a site that has a ton of information about traveling in Germany, btw)<BR><BR>The History of the Scenic Routings<BR>The first &quot;Vacation Route&quot; was established in 1927 - the German Alpine Road. Designed to attract individual travelers, most, however, were founded after 1949 in the original states of the newly born German Federal Republic. <BR><BR>In 1950, &quot;The Romantic Road&quot; was first advertised overseas, and to this day, it remains the most famous of Germany's Scenic Routings. <BR><BR>Also the German Fairy-Tale Route and the Castle Route are reknown worldwide. A major advantage of these Scenic Routings is how they enable travelers to get acquainted with day-to-day life in Germany. <BR><BR>