Search

Fairytale Road

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fairytale Road

Has anyone traveled Germany's Fairytale Road by car? If so, any recommendations for what not to miss, overnight accommodations, restaurants, etc. Also, if one isn't fluent in German would this be a difficult trip? I speak English.
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 02:31 AM

I could be wrong but I think you may be talking about Germany's Romantic Road. Sorry you haven't gotten any responses to your inquiry. Probably best to do a search on this forum using Romantic Road and see what comes up.
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 02:32 AM

I could be wrong but I think you may be talking about Germany's Romantic Road. Sorry you haven't gotten any responses to your inquiry. Probably best to do a search on this forum using Romantic Road and see what comes up.
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 02:33 AM

This is an attractive and under-visited part of Germany. I've been in the area only on bike and on public transport, however, so I can't speak to the car issue. Hannoversch Münden is a particularly picturesque town on the Fairytale Road that's worth seeing. There's another tourist route called the "Framework Road", a series of drives within the same general region that links towns with "Fachwerk" (half-timbered) buildings; Hannoversch Münden happens to be a destination on both roads:

http://www.deutsche-fachwerkstrasse....=10&c=portrait

So if your goal isn't necessarily to doggedly pursue the Grimm Brothers, but just to visit some attractive old-world towns, you may want to design your own itinerary that combines the best of both routes after doing some more research.

And if you end up in pretty Hameln (Fairytale Road) I'd also suggest seeing nearby Rinteln, which is on neither road but has some wonderful old buildings in the Weserrennaisance style, which is unique to this region.

Old Feb 21st, 2009, 02:34 AM

Well, oops. By backing out and getting my response again, I somehow thought it hadn't "taken" and resent it. Hope that's not something new that goes wrong with the new system. The poor folks at Fodors have enough to try to fix already.
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 03:48 AM

You find comprehensive information about the fairytale road here:

http://www.deutsche-maerchenstrasse..../index_en.html

It will be more rewarding if you have read some of the fairytales, especially those which had been collected by the Grimms.

Even if you do not speak German, you will find enough picturesque towns and castles on your way.

For hotel search, I recommend the Romantik Hotel reservation chain:

http://www.romantikhotels.com/

Most of these hotels are in the 3- to 4-star range, well-kept and offering historical ambiance. Most have good restaurants.