Questions about driving in Turkey

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about driving in Turkey

So we're going to honeymoon in Turkey & Greece. Our plan for Turkey is probably 2 days in Istanbul, 3 or so days in Cappadocia region, then 4-5 days on the beach in the Oludenez/Fethiye area. I'm wondering if its better to fly from IST > Cappacodia region then fly again to Oludenez, or if its easy to drive both legs (or maybe 1 of them). We love exploring and and seeing the countryside.

Can anyone offer advice on our situation. How long are the drive times between the 2 regions? Roads in good codition? Possible to rent a car in 1 spot, drop it in another? Anything else.

Thanks a bunch!
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:27 PM

I can only say that we flew from Istanbul to Keyseri (Cappadocia) the drove down to the coast and all the way to Kusadasi (over a two week period total). The driving was wonderful and the roads were easy, in good condition, well marked, and surprisingly uncrowded. We were able to turn in the car we picked up in Keyseri(through AutoEurope) at Kusadasi.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip. So perhaps flying to Keseri, driving down to the coast.

Do you recall the route you drove to get down?

Also, do you know how much car rentals are approximately? Similiar to US rentals?

Thank you
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:44 AM

It's been a few years so prices mean little now, but we rented through AutoEurope and it seemed cheaper than most of Europe.
We headed south to Antalya by way of Konya (where we spent a night), then another night at Lake Egridir -- but I wouldn't recommend that. We could and should have gone the rest of the way in the same day. Then basically we followed the coast up to Kusadasi.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:35 AM

Neopatricks suggestion is fine.
Fly Cappadocia.....Drive down to the cosats by one stop perhaps in Antalya, or other route at Afyon.......
Driving in Turkey is fine however avoid night driving if you do not have to. Avarage rate for car rental would start 55 Usd a day and upwards. Gasoline is more expensive than you are used to. There are some companies will not charge you for drop off at one way.

You could also fly to Izmir from Cappadocia and hire a car from Izmir and drive to fethiye is another option.

Congratulations and have a great time in Turkey.
(you will love Cappadocia and consider Hot air Balloon ride one early morning which will be a highlight of your trip.)

Murat
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Murat - definitely planning to do a hot air balloon ride one of the morning.

Trying to decide between driving to the coast, or taking a bus, perhaps with a stopover in Konya, though I know nothing about it yet.

Also, wondering if there are any cruises that would go out on the Mediterranean for a couple days, perhaps starting down in Kas or Feyithe and ending further up the coast, maybe Ephesus region, with stops at some other smaller islands. Or all all the boat rides round-trip. (when I say cruise, not a big cruise ship - more of a 10-20 person type of thing).

Thanks
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Dear Horn,
Konya is 2,5 hours drive and 3 hours by bus. If you wish to spend time in Konya other than visiting Mevlana, its to short of a trip to stop over there.
Taking bus if not a must is too long of a journey (11 / 12 hours)
There are cabin charters from Fethiye to Marmaris. From Marmaris to Kusadasi-Ephesus would take you about 2,5-3 hours drive or you can take bus from there.

Once you are in Cappadocia drop by for a cup of something or a glass of wine

Regards,
Murat
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help Murat.

So if I don't want to drive, and don't want to stop over - is it either an 8 hour bus or drive to get to Feyithe from Cappadocia region? Do the busses run often?

Also, if I'm going to Kay, is it easier from Cappadocia region to Feyithe first, or Kay?

Thank you
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:36 AM

Dear Horn,
To drive to fethiye is about 10 hours +.
Ofcourse when you drive its better to stop over somewhere in between for convenience. KAY ??? I belive you mean Kas... If so, its 1,5 hours from Fethiye.
You could drive to Antalya, stay overnight, drive to Kas (2,5 -3 hours ) Than Fethiye 1,5 hours... All by driving.

Regards,
Murat
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Is a drive from Cappadocia to Antalya doable in 1 day? nice drive?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM

For sure yes. Its an enjoyable drive, with streching legs, few coffee or smoking breaks 6,5 hours is generally works to reach Antalya. Maximum seven hours.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 08:23 AM

the other idea is to fly from kayseri to
izmir than rent a car and drop at antalya.
visting ephesus
pamukkale
costline etc.
re cruise there are cruises departing evert stday and tueday to grrek islands fromkusadasi 4 days or 7 days.
also blue voyage from fethiye or marmarisor bodrum are the other choices .
regars
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you.

I'm having trouble finding info, but where is Kalkan in relation to Feyithe.

And how long is the bus/drive trip from Feyithe to Izmir. I think if I knew that, it would help in gaging the distances on the coast.

Basically we'd like to get a couple day cruise in, a day or Ephesus, and then maximize beach time (though maybe a night or 2 in kalkan to visit the mountains, off the beaten track). I think the beach we are looking at Oludenez and Kas.

Any advice?
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Dear Horn;
Kalan is east of Fethiye.

To see the driving distances:
http://www.mercedes.com.tr/Internet/TR/Hizmetler/Route/
site in Turkish but write starting point at "baslangic" and where you want to reach at "bitis" and hit enter.....if there are several choices check the ones relevant end hit "hesapla"....
This will give you the driving time and the route. Usually driving times are %15 more than usual.
to see the detailed map check:
http://www.propertravel.com/destinations.htm

There is also a driving map of Turkey.

Happy travelling,

Murat
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - that is a great tool (even without knowing Turkish!)

so it looks like a drive from Cappadocia to Kalkan is really long for 1 day.

Anything of not you'd recommend stopping along the route if that is where we are wanting to travel from and to?

Thanks again - you have been very helpful.