Questioning my itinerary

Search

Questioning my itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questioning my itinerary

First time to Italy and I don't want to be the typical tourist....pop in, take a pic and onto the next location.

For that reason, I have put together this simple itinerary for our 11 day trip:

(In and Out of Milan...best fare)
First day in Milan
6 days in Tuscany
4 days in Cinque Terre

Is my 6 day stay in Tuscany too long? I feel like I may leave either satisfied that I was able to take in the relaxing countryside, wine and sun of Tuscany or disappointed that I missed Venice or Rome.

Any recommendations are welcome.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:17 PM

Hi Sloan, I think you have planned a good 11 day trip. You don't want to do too much and I think you have a balanced plan.

The question is, do you have a car or will you use other transportation? I would base myself in a nice town and take day trips by car for the six days.

Then I would chuck out the car and take the train to CT.

You can always go back to Venice or Rome, you are traveling the way I like which is to concentrate on one or two areas and not try to see all the big sights in one trip.

But in contrast, I might to six days in Tuscany and then four in Florence OR four in Venice and leave CT for another trip.

Do alot of research and see which place seems the most exciting to you. Which countryside picture makes you salivate the most? Which place makes you say "we have to go there!"

Then choose for yourself and don't second guess, that is my MO.

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 02:25 AM

I would be a bit concerned about why you chose these two destinations and yet, you are already "wondering" about whether or not you should also see Venice or Rome. Your question is difficult to answer because we have no idea how long you can "take in" the Tuscan "experience" before you realize that as great as it might be, there are other spots you are obviously interested in.

I just don't think that for a first time in Italy that CT is worth 4 entire days, especially if you are going to NOT see either Rome or Venice. I also don't think you need 6 days in Tuscany but you can easily spend a couple of weeks there.

And then there's this mindset about not being the "typical tourist"...who cares whether you are typical or not. Some places, for many, are not WORTH much more than a pop in and pop out....whatever you do don't go on any sort of guilt trips because you "didn't spend long enough" in this place or that.

Only you can decide if you've been somewhere "long enough"...nobody, and I mean NOBODY here should be dictating your schedule...it is your first time...be adventurous. Hopefully, you'll be able to return someday.

Have a GREAT trip.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:29 AM

Hi Sloan,

I agree about the car in Tuscany. You'll need it to go from one wonderful town to another. Six days in Tuscany isn't too long IMHO and you'll find youself greatly relaxed and transformed.

I like to mix rural and city environments. Although the CT and Tuscany look very different from each other you may find it's too much of the same type of vacation.

I've been to all 4 places you mention and my choice would be 6 days in Tuscany with a car and then 4 days in Venice without a car. I would do it in that order since it's very easy to go from Venice to Milan for your flight home.

I'm recommending Venice over Rome since you seem to like a more relaxing type of vacation, based on the places you're already think of.

Venice is much more relaxing than Rome, smaller and easier to get around, no vehicular traffic. It's a magical, visual experience and offers some great museums and churches yet there are places you can go in Venice where you'll see few tourists. It's also a place on the water (like CT) and very different from Tuscany and you won't have a car there; you'll be walking and taking vaporetti.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:45 AM

Sloan - I was just about to write the post Adrienne wrote but she said it better than I ever could. We have also been to all of the places you mention. The suggestion of 6 days in Tuscany including a day trip to Florence and 4 days in Venice sounds just about perfect. I think the Cinque Terre is exquisite but didn't visit until about our 4th trip to Italy and then stayed only 2 days which was plenty. I would definitiely visit Venice before going to CT. Whatever you decide, you will love Italy and look forward to your return.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:29 AM
ira

Hi Sloan,

Good plan.

I suggest that you might want to consider taking 2 days from the CT and seeing Venice.

You can always see scenery. Venice is unique.

(Actually I would skip CT this trip and do 3 days in Venice and add another day to Florence and Tuscany.)
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:30 AM
ira

PS

When are you going?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

All,
Thank you for your posts. My initial concern was because we had planned to fly in and out of Rome and spend 3 days there before we heading to CT. We found flights for half the price flying in/out Milan, so I booked those (mid-Sept) and then Rome was out. I did decide to change gears a bit and we are now spending 3 days in CT, 4 in Tuscany, 2 in Florence and 3 in Venice.