Questionable concerts in Vienna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've looked at several threads asking about concerts in Vienna and very frequently responders will warn against the touts in Mozart dress hawking tickets near St. Stephen's etc. Unless they are selling tickets for concerts that never take place, I'm sort of thinking that I might actually want to take in one of their concerts. We are taking our daughter, son-in-law and twin granddaughters to Vienna and I would like to give them the experience of a "grown up, classical music concert." But I don't want it to be a 2 hour stint with 50-75$ tickets or more where they will become quickly bored and lose the excitement of just going to a concert hall and hearing some "pretty music." So unless what these touts are peddling is totally awful, if it's short and in a reasonably pretty, old hall or church, and with reasonable prices their concerts may be perfect for my needs.

Could any one who has had experience with some of these "less than perfect" concerts, please tell me about what they were like. Amount of time, venue, cost, etc. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 02:42 PM

We didn't buy the tickets from "touts" on the square, we bought them from some legitimate ticket counter that I can't remember. It was the day-time Mozart concert with an orchestra in period costumes - staged for the benefit of tourists, with no restrictions on photography, even with flash.

By the look of it, many tourists had a grand old time - coming and going during the pieces as if it were some other type of event.

So if somebody is not habitually a concert-goer of classical music, this might be the ticket. But for anyone who actually is a habitual concert-goer of symphony concerts etc., this is a pretty crass, downright horrible thing. We fled after 15 minutes.

Take a look at this, then decide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...&v=nM7DrbYeUe8
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 02:45 PM

To clarify - this took place in the grand hall of the Musikverein - almost sacred grounds for music lovers. If you've ever watched the PBS broadcast of the New Year's Eve Vienna Philharmonic concert - that's the hall. We were hoping to enjoy its acoustics if not much else, but the unruly crowds made that impossible.
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 03:00 PM

While I have no experience with Vienna...Have you considered just checking various church bulletin boards when there? Or asking your hotel? I've seen several musical events advertised for free or at least a whole lot less than 50-70. Music seems to be really popular over here. I wouldn't bother buying from the touts at all given how many advertisements I've seen for free concerts.

As for the rest it varies. Half hour to hour or more. Free, sometimes donation requested. Most expensive was Venice, and I think that was 20 euros. Venue is usually lovely churches but I couldn't tell you if that's usually the case or merely due to the fact that I like to pop in and see the church art, so that's usually how I see the posters.

And I think one was actually an organ demonstration, not a concert per se. But if they aren't classical music fans, they'd probably enjoy that just as much.

This last is just my opinion... But your desire to treat them to "less than perfect" "grown up" music is kind of odd. What I'd do is pick a concert in a venue you'd really love to see, and fork out the 20-40 euros for the date that works best with your itinerary. Good music is only enhanced by the venue, imo... I've actually attended more concerts for the acoustics than for the music!

Yikes, michehuebli, that doesn't sound nice at all. Given that flash wasn't restricted and period dress was involved, I'm not surprised, but I hate it when people come and go during a performance.
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 05:27 PM

I would focus more on what the music will be than anything else. A lot of symphonic or operatic music is heavy for kids - or even adults who are not used to it. Make sure it is something light and enjoyable - perhaps even consider an operetta.
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 05:54 PM

I would give it a try. I'm a regular concert goer both at home and when travelling, and for me the music played at these tourist concerts is not what I would pay money to hear, not even in the Grosser Saal at the Musikverein.

However, having said that, on my last visit to Vienna, I did attend one of these concerts, a Mozart-Strauss concert at the Kursalon. It was included as a free excursion on a river cruise and no matter how many times I've heard some of the pieces, I can always count on Mozart and Strauss to lift my spirits.

For someone who has not heard live classical music before (I'm assuming they haven't), I think that this would be a great introduction. I believe that the concert I attended also had dancers for some of the Strauss waltzes, which could add to the interest.

For me, the downside was that the venue was crowded, with tiny wooden chairs to sit on, and very poor sightlines, even near the front where i was seated. So you might want to investigate what the venue is like.

I think you may find as well that these are not inexpensive events. I looked at a few of them and prices seem to start at 42€ a ticket for many of them. I don't know if there are childrens' prices.

The repertoire seems to be very similar at most of these concerts, so you might want to make your choice on the attractiveness of the venue.
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 06:20 PM

You will find these type of concerts in cities that are famous for their music history - Vienna, Salzburg, Prague, etc. You will not hear the great musicians or musical organizations of the day but you will most likely hear decent "journeymen" musicians, conservatory students or even musicians who are members of the more famous orchestras looking to make a little extra. You most likely will be entertained and have a good time listening to works that are easily listenable period pieces at a good price, usually in a nice setting and not taking an overly long time, at the same time helping a musician earn a living in what is not a lucrative field. I enjoy them for what they are.
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 12:13 AM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
We have previously enjoyed a chamber music performance in the intimate setting of the Mozarthaus (http://www.mozarthaus.at/) and always avoided the tourist traps being peddled by folks in period costumes on Vienna's streets.
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 12:39 AM

We went to a "tourist" concert in Vienna. We booked through the tourist office in the centre of the city.

The venue turned out to be in the school that Mozart had attended- a lovely old building. It did strike me as being one step up from a high school performance, but I knew I'd never get DH to anything expensive or highbrow.

As others have said, the churches often had free concerts by excellent performers. Just take a look at their notice boards as you walk by or in.

Di
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Helpful advice, all. thanks very much. IME Prague seems to have (or at least advertise on the internet) more of the shorter concerts in churches or smaller halls. Can't seem to find internet advance info for Vienna. When we first went to Europe in September of 1973 we spent nearly every night on the patio of the Kursalon watching Viennese dancers and listening to Strauss waltzes--for the price of a fertel of wine. Arranging a similar experience (but during the winter, indoors with hoards of tourists coming and going continually by the busload) has now risen to require tickets in the $40 pp range.

The girls saw the Julie Andrews NYEve concert on tv and loved the Musikverein, so we intend to arrange a tour to see that venue (one of the two even decided during the tv show then and there to switch from gymnastics to ballet) I guess we will plan to keep our eyes open for small events in churches as we sightsee and hope to find something that meets our needs in terms of a concert.

Again, thanks for all the useful info. From the time they were born we have talked of taking our twin granddaughters to Vienna. We are so excited for this trip.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 07:19 AM

Given your stated interests, you may want to stay at the Best Western Tigre. The hotel incorporates the building where Wolfgang Mozart stayed as a boy with his father Leopold when he made his Vienna debut. He later returned to that building as an adult. It happens to be a very nice hotel as well with a fine location and IMO one of the best breakfast buffets anywhere with hot chocolate to die for. However, this applies to the main hotel, not its' annex
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 07:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As a child I was forced to sit through many concerts by some of the world's greatest artists. It bored me silly (I remember trying to count the bricks of the building to stay sane) and the whole idea of being able to walk out, stand up, drink beer and generally move around while it caterwauled on sounds top notch.

These kids may love it but be prepared.....

Vienna also has comedy classical music, it might be an easier entree.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 07:43 AM

I generally go to Mass on Sunday. I asked on this board if someone could recommend a beautiful church with good music in Vienna. Somebody recommended the Augustinerkirche (St. Augustine's church).

I was advised to arrive an hour early. Good advice! The church was jammed. The music was a Mass by Haydn (I think) with a full orchestra led by the conductor of the Cleveland symphony (as I recall), a choir, a soprano, two tenors.

It was pretty memorable, but I'm not sure the granddaughters would survive it.

I haven't gone to any such concert in Vienna, but I did go to a similar tourist-oriented concert in Prague and enjoyed it very much.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Basingstoke, thanks for the advice on Tigre. Unfortunately we have our hotels booked. Perhaps we can at least stop by and explain the Mozart connection.

Bilbo, I am mindful of the problems of keeping kids interested at a concert. That's exactly why I'm looking for short concerts or one we can easily leave without annoying other guests. These kids are not experienced concert goers. I have found something in Salzburg that may fill the bill. It's only and hour and 15 minutes long with a 10 minute "breather".

Peg,your Sunday mass experience sounds lovely but I'm afraid if we were lucky enough to score seats for something like that, the girls would probably be willing to give them up after about a half hour. In my limited experience, I have found Prague to offer considerably more of the type of concert I seem to be looking for. Unfortunately Prague is not on the itinerary.

So far my find in Salzburg at the Mirabell Palace church with an hour and 15 minute concert is the top contender. I'll report back if we go and let you know how it went. Thanks to all for your assistance and guidance.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 01:43 AM

We stopped in to see the Augustinerkirche - it was just one of the most beautiful European churches I've seen. There was also lovely chanting being played at the same time, and you could just wander around as long as it pleased you.

Would be an interesting taste of that culture for your young ones, Di
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

thanks di. We'll hope to get as lucky when we go there. It's one of my husband's favorite churches in Vienna.