Question re spas for Alice Twain

Jul 9th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Question re spas for Alice Twain

I'm considering spending a week in late May at a spa, and was specifically looking for something near Milan, either easy car access or train access (reasonable train connections to Malpensa would be particularly great, as I'll be leaving from there, so would something on the Ferrovia Nord network suit?). Something fairly upmarket and along the lines of relaxation/beauty rather than medical treatments.

Aquaria in Sirmione had a nice web site, but it seems too far.

Thanks in advance for your advice, and thanks also to anybody else who might know of a place.
Jul 9th, 2003, 07:46 AM

In Milan itself, the Sheraton Principe has a very good spa, IMO, and the hotel itself is also wonderful. Principe Di Savoia
Piazza Della Repubblica 17, Milan 20124 Italy, Tel: 800/325-3535 in the US or 02-623-01
Fax: (39 2) 653799. I was last there about a year ago, but can't find the hotel in the Starwood website anymore, so it may no longer be associated with Sheraton. It may just be call the Principe di Svoia.

Outside of Milan, I have to say the Villa d'este. It has a wonderful new spa, interesting range of treatments and of course the hotel is second to none.
Jul 9th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

A bit more upmarket than I was thinking, as a week at the Villa d'Este is going to set me back well over US$3000. What I'm looking for will be about half that.

I don't know if the Principe di Savoia offers spa weeks so much as a la carte services, but in any case I'm looking for more of a countryside/retreat sort of thing.
Jul 9th, 2003, 11:02 PM

I am going to an area with nothing but spas in September of this year. Check our Abano Terme and the surounding areas. It is just outside of Padua, about 10km south...a direct train ride from Milano. There are a million hotels in the area that have swimming pools, spa treatments, everything one would need for a relaxing week.
Jul 10th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Abano Terme is definitely a possibility, and has a train station (though I don't know if I could conveniently link up to the Ferrovia Nord lines that serve Malpensa) that would make things easy. There are about a bajillion places in Abano Terme, some probably not so great as others, and I gather there's a fairly touristy feel to the place.

Have you booked your hotel/cure yet, Susanna? And how did you choose it? I've done some searching around the web (in Italian, as the English versions are not necessarily as detailed) but either a personal endorsement or local impression of a place would be helpful.
Jul 10th, 2003, 08:37 AM

Ciao Theresa:
Yes, we have picked a place, I will enclose the link to that group of 4 hotels, we are staying at the Hotel Vicoriana and Trieste because after looking a lot at all the sights too, it was one of the few that had a bit more old fashioned building, but renovated. I wasn't too crazy about staying in a highrise. There are a million places, and although I think it might be a bit touristy, I think that the majority will be Italians and Germans...also I believe that great places ARE touristy. The reason that we picked this hotel was because we don't usually stay in a 4-5 star hotel, but the prices were so affordable...135E for b&b and 204E for halp board for the BOTH of us. Dinner is to be a sit down dinner with choices, not a buffett, which I found to be the case in the 3 star hotels. The pools look great, all 4 of them, and we will just book our massages when we are there. We will be finishing up a trip in the Swiss Alps and the Dolomites so this is a perfect ending for us. We will then take the train from Padua to Milan, which is a very easy trip...I'm not sure which line it is, but Padua is a main station, so it shouldn't be a problem connecting. Also, from Abano Terme, it will be very easy to make a day trip to other towns such as Mantua/Treviso/Vicenza/Verona..it the relaxing spa environment gets to be too much. The Brenta Canals are also a cool side trip.
Buon viaggio
Jul 10th, 2003, 08:40 AM

...forgot the link
http://www.gbhotels.it/inglese/gli_hotels.asp
Jul 11th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info re the hotel in Abano Terme. The one you've picked does look the nicest in that group, and the one I'd likely pick as well.

I didn't see pricing for half board or breakfast only on the site, and no specification that meals were not buffet style. Did you get this info by contacting them directly?
Jul 11th, 2003, 08:12 PM

Yes, we have sent e-mails back and forth a few times...we also have a reservation and there was no credit card or money required to hold it, so I feel good that if it is not what we are looking for, we can just look around the town for something else. Half board is required for a min. of 3 days.I think that there is a buffet for the antipasta, but dinner would be a choice of a few things. They are very quick to respond to your e-mail and their english is perfect. I can't wait for my CURE!!

Search this Thread