Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question on Marseilles Hotel location...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2019, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of you who have been to Marseilles have recommendations for boutique style hotels well located. Tend to avoid the really big ones. I know lots of mixed feelings about this city but want to go and see for myself. Have 4 nights.....good to be able to walk to/from dinner and feel comfortable (not too late). Is the Vieux Port really tacky or has that atmosphere that makes it interesting...other areas that are still convenient. Would love some input. Thank you in advance.
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 01:28 PM

I stayed in the Mercure Canebiere Vieux Port and loved it. Yes, it’s a chain but it feels boutiquey. Hotel Alex gets good write ups and Maisonette Montgrand is also quite trendy. I was originally booked into the latter but switched after a change of itinerary. The Mercure has the best location of the three imho.
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 01:29 PM

​​​​​btw it’s maison montgrand - I wish autocorrect would gtf.
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 04:57 PM
kja

I stayed within sight of the Vieux Port and found that location extremely well suited to my purposes in visiting Marseille. And I adored Marseille -- an absolute winner, IMO! The hotel in which I stayed -- the Hermes -- is bare bones when it comes to decor, but has some features that I really appeciated (24/7 roof deck, decent breakfast buffet, etc). I wouldn't call it a "boutique" hotel, but was very glad that I stayed there. Only a block from the port, I didn't find the area tacky and didn't feel unsafe at all -- and I'm a woman who was traveling solo. Walked to dinners, walked all around, etc.
Hermes Hotel Marseille
If you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information in my trip report. The secion on Marseille begins with post # 126.
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the [email protected] read your section on Marseille with great interest...have bookmarked it and noted the restaurants. Wow you really pack in so much. That report is a great resource...thank you so much for sharing that. I am checking out the hotel references above...I will say the roof at the Hermes has me intrigued.
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 06:40 PM
kja

I'm glad you found some value in my report! I did fit a lot in, and I am most definitely glad I did -- so many wonderful experiences!

The Hermes is low-end, but give it a look, as it does have some real advantages.

I still remember the meals at La Poule Noire and Au Couer de Panier with great satisfaction -- except that thinking of them makes me hungry. I recommend them wholeheartedly.
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

your assurances of feeling safe (of course no guarantees) means a lot to me as we are mother and adult daughter.
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 07:14 PM
kja

I felt completely safe in the Vieux Port area, and for that matter, everywhere I visited in Marseille -- even when I got lost in La Panier after dinner. (Though I wouldn't recommend doing that.) Just take the usual precautions and be mindful of your surroundings, as you would be wise to do anywhere and especially in neighborhoods that aren't familiar to you.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 12:44 AM

I also have a Marseille TR:-

Marseille - a photo essay

(If you've seen it already, feel free to ignore this post...)
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

@RM67...well another great source of information. So nice to see Marseilles some favorable reviews. Having enjoyed other "gritty" cities such as Naples and Havana...something tells me I will like it too. The rating above Paris is really something and the photos of Panier have really inspired me. I was concerned about giving it 4 nights but really only three days but that should be good. Thanks you for pointing out your report...well done.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 03:39 AM

Another great resource is Isabel’s blog. I’m planning a trip to Marseille as well for next October, and I love seeing the photos with the description of the city’s sites and neighborhoods.

https://andiamo.zenfolio.com/blog/20...rseille-france
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

@progol...wow Isabel's blog is fabulous...another bookmark....I especially noted that the infamous Bar de la Marine is actually still there. If you have not seen the movie Fanny do rent it...the shots of the Vieux Port etc. are great and it gives a glimpse into the Marseilles of years gone by. This is a must stop for me. Thank you so much for linking it. You know this is interesting...I posted a similar question over a week ago on another popular travel forum site and not one answer. I think that is because most there see Marseilles as a city to fly in and get out. Glad I found this site.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 09:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The only place I want to stay in a hotel in Marseille is the Vieux Port.

And here is my Marseille photo report yet again: Marseille kaleidoscope | Any Port in a Storm
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

thank you Kerouac..your photos tell the story...excellent..."kaleidoscope" is a good title.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 11:05 AM

There must be a great deal of misinformation about Marseille out there giving a less than favourable impression, I've never seen Marseille as a place to fly in and out of but a destination in it's own right. It's not as chic as Nice perhaps but I prefer it. The 1st time I stayed in a hotel there (over 30 years ago), I stayed at the Sofitel Vieux Port which is still there, a great place for a drink if not staying.
https://www.sofitel-marseille-vieuxport.com/

This is a nice restaurant we've eaten in, with views over Vieux Port.

Une Table, Au Sud - Vieux Port de Marseille
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 11:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I very much prefer Marseille to Nice, even though Nice is a nice place, too. Both of them are ten times better than Cannes or Monaco.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 04:05 PM

progol and Lois - thanks for liking my report. I had a great time in Marseille. I will say I also felt totally safe in the Vieux Port area ( my hotel was one block in from the top of the harbor).
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 05:26 AM

Isabel, i love your work in general, and it was wonderful to find your blogpost on Marseille, as my husband and I will be there for 4 days next fall.

kerouac, I’m enjoying your posts on Marseille, too. You really got around and captured an incredible variety of places in your visit or visits!

I’m really looking forward to our visit next year!