Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question from a first-time visitor from the U.S.

Oct 16th, 2002, 11:14 AM
buddy thomas

Hello, people of Europe. My name is Buddy Thomas and I live in the U.S. I'll be visiting Europe for the first time this winter and, while I'm excited to go, I don't want to embarrass myself by saying or doing the wrong things.

Can you offer any advice on how best to behave? I can dress myself pretty good, but I didn't know if there was more to it than that.

Oct 16th, 2002, 11:24 AM
YouAre

European women don't like to be groped. Please keep that in mind.

Also, be sure to wash your hands after you leave the WC.

If Europeans appear to be rude to you, be rude back. It's a game -- Europeans love to play games.

Enjoy, and have a nice trip.

Oct 16th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Jim

Good one, "Buddy." Nice try but be a little more subtle.

Oct 16th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Rex

Europe is a big place, and so it is hard to genralze, but I would offer two suggestions:

1. Try had to show some inteest in learning some basics of the language as you travel to a country.

and

2. Watch out for talking much LOUDER than most Europeans. There is a noticeable difference in how much louder Americans speak.

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 16th, 2002, 05:38 PM
up

to the top

Oct 16th, 2002, 05:54 PM
EuropeMaven

Dont'go expecting things to be as they are in America.

Learn at least a few polite phrases in the languages of the places you're going to visit.

Be polite, even formal, by American standards.

Don't yell or talk loudly. Be humble.

Read everything you can get your hands on about the places you are visiting and their history. Europe isn't a theme park - it's living history.

Appreciate the opportunity.

Make new friends.

Have fun.

Oct 16th, 2002, 08:56 PM
tobud

Dear Buddy
Have fun in Europe but here are some suggestions
1) Have fun you are not there to kiss ass or impress the Europeans.
2) Don't feel bad if you do not speak the language, afterall how many languages are spoken in the world and we are supposed to KNOW every one of them?
3) Dress however the heck you want, they certainly do not dress for us when they come to the States.
4) If they want to get into political arguments tell them that you are too busy to waste time, after all look what happened in the last WW. Seems like they needed a little bailing out if you asked me....

Oct 16th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Erin

One more thing or two: The bidet is not to be mistaken for a footbath to soak your corns, flashing your money, shouting, swearing, and wearing brand new white tennis shoes, spititng on the sidewalk, and trying to 'gimmy' the lift (elevator). Remember to talk quietly, carry own soap and TP, and when drying hands under the hand dryer, don't wipe your wet paws in your hair.

Oct 16th, 2002, 09:48 PM
nothanks

Tobud....that is so true. I am sick of going to Europe and running into this arrogant attitude of the Europeans. But then again what can we expect of course they hate us...they do business with Saddam Hussein. We are interfering with their right to deal with a homicidal maniac.
Sam you are just jealous because you Europeans have no balls....

Oct 17th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Joe

Dear Buddy
Be sure to bring plenty of chocolate bars, chewing gum, cigarettes and nylon stockings, then you won't have to worry about doing the wrong thing.

Oct 17th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Britchick

Hear, hear Sam! I completely agree with your sentiments. And why does Hollywood always insist on changing British wartime events and portraying them as American? Good job so many Brits are good humoured enough to let it go. Imagine if it was the other way round!! The USA would be suing the British people for all they were worth!! Give us a break!

Oct 17th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Hiho

I know you said that you would not have a problem with dress......but here is an inside tip......wear Pareau's. You will surely be in the "in" crowd.

Oct 17th, 2002, 08:59 AM

Just be exactly who you are. Show confidence and don't let any Europeans or Canadians get on your back. Seams like its the Canadians who pick a verbal fight. Its all about confidence.