Question for those who planned/married in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who have planned and got married in Italy, I have a few questions. I am considering getting married there and in the process of figuring out the budget.

1. How does a wedding planner charge for their service? Is is a surcharge over the total cost of the wedding or will it be a flat fee? If it is a flat fee, what would be the range?
2. Would it be difficult to have a wedding planner to work with a photographer and other suppliers that are not in their preferred suppliers list. I would like to be able to pick photographer that I like.
3. Aside from the wedding planner, where can I find a good list of suppliers in Rome.

Thanks for any information you can give.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 03:44 AM

Here is a link to the SlowTrav.com site, but it will not answer many of the questions you have, I think, but perhaps will give you some ideas:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/living/gm_wedding.htm

Here are a couple threads from the SlowTrav message board:

http://slowtalk.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&...11#44410583511

http://slowtalk.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&...11#84110165411

http://slowtalk.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&...554#9666065554

http://slowtalk.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&...11#97410327411

http://slowtalk.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&...11#45410284411

That will do for startes. When there, also do a search within the board for wedding planning.

--Marv
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 03:53 AM

Also try a google search on "wedding planning italy" and variations of that.

I got several hits; here are a couple:

http://www.initaly.com/weddings/planners.htm

http://www.topweddinglinks.com/NationalDirectory/ita/

--Marv
PS: I had also done a search here on Fodors but didn't come up with much, but there MUST be something good, and I just did not find it. Perhaps you or somebody else will.

Old Oct 8th, 2004, 06:47 PM

We just got married in Positano Italy last month...it was wonderful!!!

We planned the whole wedding ourself without a wedding planner as it seems like they really were charging alot and really not doing all that much. It was also easier for us since we only had the two of us going (no other guests to plan for - we had our reception after we returned to the US).

I cannot help you much with Rome, but if there are other questions I can answer, my email is [email protected]. Good luck!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Infotrack - thanks for the links but I'm really looking for somone with first hand experience who can give me answers to questions Ive posted. I've been surfing the web extensively for the past two weeks and before I contact a wedding planner I want to be prepared. I'm interested to know if I how hard if would be to plan the wedding without a wedding planner involved with all the supplier.

mgfit - will contact you separately. thanks.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 09:12 PM

Hello! Congratulations on your wedding!

You might also try TheKnot.com message boards. They are extremely helpful in all areas of wedding planning, and there is a section devoted to destination weddings. I know there are a lot of brides who post that have gotten married in Italy.

Good luck!
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Anymore leads? Have checked out the knot website. Are there any other wedding website that I could look into?
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 11:35 AM

Hello! I looked on WeddingChannel.com for you, but didn't find much. But you could certainly check it out- the message boards are under "community."

Also, a few planners you could look into are:
www.weddingsinitaly.com
www.italyweddings.com

I've seen them mentioned on the wedding board.

Good luck!
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 08:24 PM

jej- there's a clear rule against self promotion here on this forum.

Since you identify yourself as a "wedding photographer" I think it qualifies as direct ad.

I think you should advertise on the commercial wedding sites, not here.

Old Nov 21st, 2004, 09:14 PM

bella- just curious about which commercial post you're referring to? I didn't notice a "jej" post, so I wanted to be certain we knew who your suggestion was for.

Thanks!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:17 AM

I was married in Tuscany in the summer of 2003. I did much of the planning myself via the internet and theknot.com, finding a location and a photographer on my own. I did end up using a wedding planner in the end for things like the caterer and flowers. If I had it to do again, I do not think I would use a wedding planner; I would try to do it all on my own. BTW, each wedding planner varies in terms of how they chrage and what they charge. But be warned; the prices for the planners vary widely. Some of them really jack up the prices for things. So know in advance how much things should cost. If you are able to find a photographer or caterer on your own, they should be able to give you recommendations for other vendors.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks cruisinred. I'm just curious how you were able to select which planner and photographer to use and what kind of questions you asked them. I'm already in touch with one wedding planner and she is charging me a flat rate to assist us with the requirements. Didn't you have a hard time with documentation. We are have a legally binding catholic wedding. We're not interested in a ceremonial wedding.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:28 PM

None of the wedding planners responded to my enquiries, so I am planning it myself. I suppose the profit margin is low when it's only going to be the bride and the groom! Anyway, waiting for several weeks and making the reservation for Palazzo Vecchio in Florence I finally got an email response from a wedding planner. She charges a minimum of 5,000 euro (no matter how small the wedding is). Needless to say I am still planning it myself. So far so good, but can anyone recommend an interpreter or translator? Does anyone have a favorite salon in Florence they can recommend?
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

javawater - what is included in Euro5,000 package? Documentation, reception, hotel accomodation, photography. That seems pretty high. I've seen some wedding packages that are in the range of Euro3,000.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 05:39 AM

purplefish, have you tried Chandi at http://sogniitaliani.com/ ? I found my wedding planner in Venice thru her and she was extremely helpful. She is American and specializes in weddings in Italy, specifically Florence.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 03:47 PM
jej

Bellastar, I am sorry that you were unhappy with my posting. Yes, I am a wedding photographer, but that said I am a major Italo-phile and love Italy. I know the Amalfi Coast very well and as a fellow traveller I think I can offer some good advice on the topic of Italian weddings. I think it is only fair for the reader to know who is responding so I am not trying to hide my identity and profession. Let's face it planning a destination wedding in Italy is difficult enough, and I thought my experience could shed some light on the whole process. Again, I am available to help answer questions merely for the joy of re-living my times in Italy.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:13 PM

purplefish,

I didn't read all the other replies, but about 5 years ago we got married in the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. We went through Rosanna's Tours (www.rosannastours.com). We were able to just get the things we wanted from them and pay accordingly (I believe we customized one of their "packages.&quot

Now that almost 5 years have passed doing it on your own may be more doable (via internet), but I was extremely happy that we had a planner to have everything ready for us, lead us through all the paperwork once we got there, etc. (We used their photographer and were happy with him, so can't comment on that.)

Best of luck to you!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM

I am getting married in Volterra in June, and highly reccommend theknot.com for all the first hand help you need. Head over to the "destination wedding" chat boards and post way! I think getting a planner (flat fee if possible) is absolutely the way to go... ours is Annie at Tuscantour.com. Wonderful!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 01:05 PM

My sister married in Tuscany last year and used a great company. The owner of the company is Italian. My sister was very happy with her prices and service. She found her website www.weddingsintuscany.info. I hope this can help.