Search

Question for London Locals re: Royal Opera House tickets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for London Locals re: Royal Opera House tickets

I wonder if any locals (or anyone else) have first hand or second hand information regarding buying tickets for sold-out performances for the Royal Opera House.

I am looking at the Matilde di Shabran performances featuring Juan Diego Florez for Oct/Nov. All have been sold out completely.

I called the ROH box office, and they informed me that on each morning of performance @10am, they sell 67 tickets to that night's performance.

Anyone has any idea of how early one needs to get there for such a blockbuster show?

[BTW, in Nov 1992, I lined up the night before (complete with 3 blankets) at the ROH to buy tickets for the sold-out Otello starring Domingo and Te Kanawa.]

I am willing to head out to Covent Garden in the morning as soon as the tube starts to run, but I am not willing to camp out there the night before.

If anyone has any info, that will be much appreciated.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 06:37 AM
yk
Original Poster

ttt

<i>Anyone?</i>
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 07:59 AM

I have no idea how bad the lines will be, but this has got to be London's ticket of the year. Maybe the weather will be on your side. Will you be in London for more than one performance?

I think what I'd do is, take a swing by the box office (late) the night before and see whether or not people are already lined up, and if so how many. If it's already a long line I wouldn't bother the next morning, but if there's only a very short line or no line at all, then I'd do what you're thinking and take the tube first thing and get in line early in the am.

If you're willing to pay, there's got to be scalpers. I know there are a few London/UK scalper sites online, but I don't know how reliable they are.

I hope someone here can help you out, and that you're able to get a ticket. Juan Diego Florez in Matilde di Shabran? Yeowza.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM

I know nothing about opera (it's fat blokes yelling at one another in front of cardboard trees as far as I can see).

However one thing I do know is that for the blockbuster shows the ROH put on big screens outside and relay the &quot;action&quot; outside. It's very popular.

So maybe that's an option?
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:00 AM

If you're willing to pay, the concierge at your hotel can undoubtedly get you whatever tickets you want. (IMHO better that sitting on a pavement all night.)
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:12 AM
yk
Original Poster

It would be a dream come true if I can see JDF perform live at the ROH. I previously had seen him twice at the Opera Company of Philadelphia before he got this famous.

I think your suggestion, Apres_Londee, is my best bet. I haven't bought my plane ticket yet, but my plan is to be there spanning 2 performances (Fri and Mon), so hoping to get to either one if I'm lucky.

I'm willing to pay, nytraveler, probably up to 2x face value for a ticket. However, I never ever stay at hotels that have a concierge, so that's out of the question. And I don't have an AMEX Plat card either.

Are there any &quot;reliable&quot; brokers that sell opera tickets?
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:14 AM

I know a couple of agencies, I used one for the Don Carlo in June (another sold-out months before the performances) but I have just looked at them and they don't have anything for the Mathilde.

No big screen this time, CW, they do that only in summer.
If you can go to a performance in a weekday ..I don't think you would have problems to get tickets for the same day if you arrive early to the queue. For weekends..I wouldn't even try.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 05:09 AM

When I used to go there'd often be people standing outside holding up tickets they couldn't use, so if all else fails try turning up around an hour beforehand &amp; hope somebody else is ill, can't get a babysitter, etc
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 05:10 AM

P.S. Or try ebay.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 06:59 AM
yk
Original Poster

I called the ROH again today - the staff person was quite helpful. He suggested me checking the website regularly, since any returned tickets will be posted back online for sale. He also said if I get in line (for the day tickets) by 7:30am, I should be okay.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Oh, yes, box office staff at ROH is the best of all european Opera Houses, I'm not joking ! And the system to get tickets ...it's also the best. Even when the productions are a sure &quot;sold out&quot; ones..but this is not the place to talk about my bad experiences buying opera tickets LOL
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 03:34 AM

I presume they must have got rid of the supercilious bloke in fancy dress then, have they ?
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 09:00 AM
yk
Original Poster

SUCCESS!!!

I have been checking on ROH's website 2-3 times a day, and have been rather discouraged by

We are sorry...
There are currently no tickets available.

So, you can imagine my surprise when I checked earlier today and found there were a number of seats available!!! There are at least 20 tickets to choose from, at various price range on different levels.

Yay! At least now I don't have to worry about getting up at 5am to line up for 4 hours in the cold!

Okay, one more question... Does anyone know where the stage door is for the ROH? I admit I have a huge crush on Juan Diego Florez, and I wouldn't mind waiting outside the stage door afterwards to get a glimpse or autograph of him.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM

It is in Floral Street, round the corner at the left as you go out the House's main door. You walk a bit up the street and there it is.
If there is place, go inside but I imagine there would be many people there

Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:20 PM

&lt;&lt;&lt; So, you can imagine my surprise when I checked earlier today and found there were a number of seats available!!! There are at least 20 tickets to choose from, at various price range on different levels. &gt;&gt;&gt;

Based on experience elsewhere it could be

a) an agency doing hotel/ticket deals returning tickets

b) the opera company itself returning tickets intended for sponsors / media / friends of the company
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:40 AM

Well done ! I'm happy for you.