Reload this Page >

Question for "Locals" who post

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:24 AM
x

This is something I've been curious about for a while. I'm what I'd call a 50-50 poster. Half the time I ask questions and half the time I'm able to give answers from my own travel experience. But there are a couple of European "locals" on this board who are givers and don't seem to be takers. I'm not complaining at all, in fact I received excellent advice from a local here with regard to a recent trip. But I do wonder what compels people to answer questions on this board. Ive visited my own home state on the US board once or twice when I was looking for hotel recommendations for a friend, and I did respond to a question here and there where I knew I could be helpful. But I'm too busy planning my own journeys to frequent my hometown travel board! People here seem to be altruistic; on the other hand on the AOL board most of the "locals" seem to have agendas - almost all are peddling some goods or services, or else are really lonely people who look to the message board for comraderie. I don't get that impression with Fodors, though, but I am curious. Thanks!

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Vincent

To be honest, my first motivation is, when work is slow, such as now, to chase away boredom. Secondly, I happen to love my country as well as I know it (I think); thirdly, I am a kind of practical guy, and quite well traveled myself, so I know how it feels to be confronted with a cultural shock and to be lost in a strange place; and finally, yes, I guess I am some kind of an altruist, and my only agenda, if any, would be to fight against the cliche that all French are snotty, rude to tourists, non-English speakers, etc. And, yes, honestly, you Fodorites are worth it, and I mean it. You obviously go out of your way to prepare your vacation, are sensitive to cultural differences, in one word you are real travellers. So, why hesitate when it's fun and you feel you are encouraging a good cause (responsible, curious, hedonistic tourism ! ) ?

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:13 AM
olga

<BR>In my case, I love to travel around my own country and there are tons of places I still haven´t visited myself. I like to take weekend trips and love the info that I get on this website.<BR>I´ve tried several "local" websites in spanish and somehow they are never as complete. <BR>Also, having lived in the States for a while and being married to an american, I think I have quite a bit of the american point of view and tastes -if I can generalise a bit...-as opposed to the spanish ones. This makes me trust opinions posted on this board.<BR><BR>In the process, if I can help somebody with advice on places I do know, I like to reciprocate... when time allows.<BR><BR>

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Sheila

I'm not sure if I'm in that category or not.<BR><BR>I certainly give more than I receive (but isn't that a blessing<BR><BR>I do it, because I love Scotland, which is splendid and diverse, and I want every one of you who come here to have the best experience I can help you achieve.<BR><BR>I think there's a bit of hubris too. I KNOW about my country, and I love to share that knowledge.<BR><BR>Some of you are quite nice people, too

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Andre

Guess it's because I'm a travel freak - I even work in the industry (NOT as a travel agent though). I've been arranging family trips since I was a little kid (seriously!) and just enjoy sharing my opinions on all the beautiful places I've experienced as well as all the great and not so great hotels, restaurants, train, plane, bus and car rides I've stayed at/eaten at/taken.<BR><BR>I also won't deny that it's fun to get a thank you from someone you've helped out...<BR><BR>I actually discovered this site while planning a trip to Arizona - now I'm hooked <BR><BR>Andre

Old May 13th, 2002, 12:31 PM
mpprh

hi<BR><BR>good question !<BR>i come here to learn.<BR><BR>i've been to most european countries over the last 25 yrs privately and for business, but things change, and I haven't been much in the former Eastern block (only Poland and Hungary 10 yrs ago !).<BR><BR>Along the way I've lived in 4 Euro countries and can see answers, others maybe miss.<BR><BR>Just an old sweety ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Ruth

Europeans don't consider themselves "locals" everywhere in Europe, only in their home country. I notice questions that I can try to answer when I'm planning my next trip to another part of Europe. Also, I'm addicted to the board!!

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Jayne

Hi..<BR><BR>I'm I guess a giver most of the time. Although, I did ask a question about using cellphones in the UK recently.<BR><BR>And yes I guess I am a little lonely! I'm stuck in the US (came from England) unable to work and bored bored bored and frustrated as hell. Tried volunteer work to try and take my mind off getting my EAD which will give me permission to work.<BR><BR>At times I find listening to other people's opinions of where they've been and what they are planning is so much more interesting than watching soaps. I know London pretty well so it figures that I would want to give my advice.<BR><BR>Also, I have no kids, want no kids - so that diversion is also not an option for me. So, I end out scanning the internet and find I quite enjoy Fodors. Nobody seems to get into flaming arguments, and you often give to learn a thing or too.

Old May 13th, 2002, 02:14 PM
x

Thanks for all the responses! I think that for the most part, the simple answer is that there are a lot of nice, helpful people on this board. It's a healthy, and informative, diversion for a lot of us, whether giving or receiving info, thanks to everyone for your continued participation (and no, I dont work for Fodors)!