Bogota travel

Jul 17th, 2002, 09:22 AM
julie

Bogota travel

My son met a foreign exchange student his last year of high school,now he is wanting to continue their friendship and he wants to visit her in Bogota this December. We are wonering if this is a good idea for a 18 year old to do so on his own.Please advise

Jul 17th, 2002, 09:57 AM
megan

I am currently in Mexico on business. I have met and talked to people who travel to Bogota on business. My company assigns an armed guard and driver to them.

Jul 18th, 2002, 06:45 AM
ana

I have 5 excellent friends that live in Bogota. They live normal lifes, taking precautions of not going on road trips on the countryside to avoid what they call "pesca milagrosa" (miracle fishing). This is where they put roadblocks and kidnap people.
What part of Bogotá would your son visit, and what would his activities be
during his stay?

Ana

Jul 18th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Hector

I'm American, of Colombian descent. I've been to Bogota many times. Odds are, if he stays in the city, with locals, he'll be fine and have a great time. However, with the situation being what it is, perhas it's advisable that your son stay home and not take the risk. I personally don't travel there anymore without need.

Jul 18th, 2002, 03:55 PM
jorge

I'm also american/ colombian, and have been too Bogota many times.. I've been too many places where Ameicans supposedly don't belong like Syria, and lebenon,. nothing happend, i'm also a young guy..
anyways like the previous post said as long as he's with his fraind he'll be fine, hell there are many American and europeans living in Bogota..

it comes down too the saying when it's your time, it's your time..

Jul 24th, 2002, 07:50 AM
David

Hello! I am an American living in Bogota for the past 15 years(married to a Colombian Woman). Colombia is a country with many problems and the violence you see on CNN is true. However, violence occurs throughout the world and one must take precautions to avoid dangerous situations. I would say your son has an amazing opportunity to see a beautiful country. If your son's friend is a foreign exchange student from Colombia, chances are that he is from a well to do family that knows how to survive in this country. Bogota is a city of 8 million people and it's geography has protected it from the guerilla problem. Like any city, common crime is the major concern we face in Bogota. It is extremely unlikely your son would be targeted for kidnapping during a short visit. I would make a condition to his visit that he not leave the city with the exception of two touristic areas close by: Melgar/Girrardot or Paipa. If I suspected my son was into drugs, I would not let him go. If your son is smart and has a head on his shoulders, buy him a ticket right away. To give you an idea of how news affects us, my wife is more afraid of the subway in New York and walking the streets here. Feel free to contact me if you desire. David