Question for frequent flyers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to this game, and I am wondering if someone could tell me what my expectations should be in this situation:

Last December I was booked on US Airways from my home (MGW) to PIT to PHL to CDG, then back again. However, the flight from MGW to PIT was cancelled due to mechanical problems. I was rebooked to fly US Airways from MGW (a later flight) to PIT to IAD, then on Air France to CDG, arriving three hours late, and without luggage for two days.

I have received the miles for all of the US Airways flights I had, but due to the rebooking, I lost the 4000 or so miles I would have gotten from PHL to CDG. Is it unreasonable for me to expect them to credit my account for some miles in compensation for what I should have received?
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 12:26 PM

Something similar happened to me before. I wrote the airline, giving clear details of what happened. I was a "extra-premium" 1,000,000 mile customer. I got back a pretty obnoxious letter that they were under no obligation to give me miles if I ultimately flew on another carrier but "just this one time" they would. I say "similar" but mine was the case that the flight was UNDER sold so they cancelled it at the last minute and sent us all to another airline. Because of the last minute change and because I was not a frequent flyer on the other airline I was "flagged" for every possible search. And I lost my free first class upgrade which had been confirmed 72 hours in advance. And, while it was technically an international flight (to Canada) it was barely 500 miles (well I did insist and they gave me 1500 miles because with my "extra premium" status I was entitled to earn triple miles). Still, it's worth a try. P.S. it was not US Air but American.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 12:37 PM

I think you didn't get the credit because Air France is not part of the Star Alliance. And you slipped through the cracks

We have been lucky and when US Airways rerouted us two years ago, it was a Star Alliance partner and we were credited.

I wish you lots of luck getting someone at US Airways to address your problem. I am a frequent flyer with them and have been for years, but it does not seem to me that one is able to speak with someone at customer service easily. And when you do get someone, they are from I don't know where and I have found it increasinly difficult to resolve problems with them.

I haven't been any help, except to wish you lots of luck and let us know how you make out.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Write US Airways a polite letter asking them to credit the full mileage or explain why they think you should consider calling them the next time you want to fly anywhere. Tell them that they can save your relationship for a few lousy miles or pound sand - their choice (or diplomatic words to that effect).
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM

um. yea.. ultimatims of that sort to a huge airline are not going to get you what you want. Though the polite letter was a good idea. If the flight was cancelled by the airline and they reaccommodated you on another airline, they will give you the miles. Make sure to give them all of the flight information including US flt that was cancelled, and OAL flight you flew. They will be happy to post the Dividend miles you would have accrued.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. It sounds like I have have some hope of getting those miles, but I'm going to have to work for it.

I did exchange a couple of emails with them, but all I got was a curt "We've credited all the miles you are due" reply. I think I'll have to try again.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:03 PM

The biggest problem I see is that it is April and you are talking about "last December". It's always best to try to resolve these things as quickly as possible.

I had a similar situation in November and I will leave the carriers' names out of it. We were flying to Hong Kong and a flight delay on our carrier put us into a situation where we couldn't make the international leg of the trip. We were placed on a non-partner carrier to pick up a different flight to Asia. That carrier had a delay, too. The result was that we lost most of day at our destination.

I wrote a very polite letter explaining that I thought it would be fair to credit the miles according to my original booking, which included status bonuses. (My wife and daughter were flying on award tickets.) I also pointed out that the situation had diminished the value of our trip by a day.

To make a long story short, I received all of the mileage for that long haul, including status premiums. In addition, each of us received 15,000 bonus miles for our trouble. The second carrier gave each of us a $100 voucher for their part of the foul-up.

My suggestion would be to explain what you booked and what you would have received if they had performed. Ask to be made whole and be specific. Do it in writing and mail it; don't just e-mail it.

Good luck. I was pleasantly surprised by the response I received.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:20 PM

I am not sure what to suggest where US Airways is concerned. They have messed up so many European trips for me that I hope never to fly them again. I did get some relief once when I rebooked and got put in tourist class whereas my original booking was in business class, paid for with ff miles. I got my miles back!

But, since the merger (??) with America West, don't expect anything. I find that almost all US airlines are suffering from the same problems.

I recently booked with US Air and paid for upgrades with ff miles. My return flight was moved from 8 am to 6:30 am and there is nothing I can do about it because no upgradable seats are availabe on a later flight.

I hate to say this, but I would try some other airline. I cannot fly with US Airways without some screwup that fouls up my plans.

The old saying applies: Once is an accident, two is a coincidence, the third time is not, and the fourth time is a darn habit.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:03 PM

You wouldn't get much for the delay or the luggage delay, but you should get full FF miles for your original itinerary. They will give it to you, but I agree with others that you should have done this like in Jan, not now.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 08:04 AM

&quot;...ultimatims [<i>sic</i>] of that sort to a huge airline are not going to get you what you want...&quot;

Quite to the contrary, I have found that firm pressure often works when nothing else will. Explain that you feel you are paying for certain standards of service, and if they don't care to provide them, there is someone else who would welcome your business.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

An update for anyone interested: Since I had already exchanged some emails with the airline regarding this problem, I finally called US Airways yesterday. I was able to talk to a real person after wrangling with the telephone system for a while. After a quick explanation from me of the situation, the rep immediately agreed to credit my account with the miles from PHL to CDG. I checked, and it's on my account today. Email didn't work at all for me, but talking to someone on the phone did the trick!

Thanks, everyone!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM

GREAT!