Help with one day in Rome...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted recently about whether or not to get a guide, since my husband and I would only be there for the day. After pricing the guides, it's just not in the budget to spend 350 euro. So, we're going to wing it and try it on our own. Since this is in the last week of May I can only assume that the crowd will be huge.

I need some help with our day itinerary. Here's what I was thinking:

We arrive in the morning at the train station, then immediately take the subway to the Vatican stop, since this is at the top of our priority list. We'll see St. Peters if the line isn't 5 miles long, then work our way back, going to the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, have lunch in that area, then on to the Colosseum, and maybe do some shopping in between. We're not taking any extensive tours of the ruins, we just want to see from the outside.

Does that sound doable? Am I missing anything major? I hear the Sistine Chapel is closed the day we're going, which is a bummer.

Any suggestions from all of you wonderfully seasoned travelers?

Thanks,
runlong
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take the bus to The Vatican. It goes through the heart of Rome. I'm not crazy about the Roman subway, and you'll see much more.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Even if the line is long I would make St. Peter's a must-must see.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:06 AM

I recently did almost the exact same itinerary in March. We were tired by the end of the day, but we got it all in.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:50 AM

On my first trip to Rome, I had a half day upon arrival...and a full day and a half at the end of my trip. I did something very similar...saw St. Peter's, Campo Dei Fiori, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Colloseum, Mouth of Truth and Circus Maximus...I was coming back through but if it was my only day I would have skipped the Mouth of Truth and Circus Maximus...a long walk for little return. I would have headed to Trevi Fountain after Piazza Navona...on to the Colloseum and through the Forum up the the Campidoglio...the view from there at night is spectacular. You can see quite a lot in one day but inside visits to churches will not likely be possible with so little time. I was able to see a few but saved many of the sights for my next visit to Rome which is what you will need to do as well. It will be a very tiring day but you can rest on the plane on the way home!!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Pausanias

Don't know if you've considered it, but small group tours such as those offered by Context Rome http://rome.contexttravel.com/index....ss=ct&sr=1
would run about $175.00 (including admission) for the two of you, for a four hour tour of the Vatican. It's in the afternoon, which would enable you to visit most of the other sites in the morning. You might even get into the Sistine Chapel.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I would make one adjustment. After seeing the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain, I would walk to the Piazza Venezia, around to the right of the Vittorio Emanuele monument, and up the ramp/stairs designed by Michelangelo to the Campidoglio. Walk to the right of the senate building and enjoy the view over the forum. When I did this on our first evening with my husband, who had not been to Rome before, I told him that the next day we would walk around in the forum and he looked amazed. "You mean you're allowed to go in there?"

And since yes, amazingly you are, I would then go around to the left of the Senate building and walk down the stairs into the forum and through it to the Colosseum. No major touring of the ruins required, just a stroll through an amazing and unparalleled human landscape.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. In what area should be have lunch? Near the Piazza Navona?
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:08 AM

You will not have time for a leisurely lunch as it is usually a 2 hour affair. I would just grab a piece of pizza from Da Baffetto near the Piazza Navona...delicious...and cap it off with a wonderful gelato for desert at San Crispino near the Trevi fountain.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:20 AM

We went to Rome last year at the end of May and the crowds weren't bad. The longest line was for the Vatican and that's because we lined up befor it opened. When we left, there was no one in line. We didn't have to wait in line for St. Peter's. Since we arrived quite early (around 8:30am) there were less than 5 people in front of us. We had the Scavi tour the same day and while we waited, there was never much of a line so you shouldn't have a problem getting in to St. Peter's

Also, if you're going to the Colosseum, go to the Roman Forum first. There is no line and you can use the ticket for the Colosseum as well-AND don't have to wait in line.

Have a great time!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:47 AM

A tiny correction to the above post:

The Roman Forum is free; the ticket to the Colosseum includes the Palatine, and if you have the time and want to see the interior of the Colosseum, it is better to buy the ticket at the Palatine entrance on Via San Gregorio in order to avoid the Colosseum line.