Search

question for dave in paris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question for dave in paris

dear dave in paris,
i saw a couple of references to you on help needed in paris. well, i need help so i thought i would ask whether you to possibly point me in the right direction. i am coming to paris on thursday. i was going to try and run in the half marathon on sunday. i did not register because i had jury duty and when i called the office in paris, they said it was full and there is nothing i could do. i was wondering if you know how i might find if anyone who has registered for the race might have cancelled. is there a major running store where marathoners buy there gear? thought they might know how i could still enter this race. thanks.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Do you have information suggesting that you could take the place of someone who dropped out?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:15 PM

Marathon, 26 rue Léon Jost, in the 17th arrondissement, tel: 01.42.27.48.18. Web site www.boutiquemarathon.com

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

to dave in paris
when i call the marathon office and asked for any cancellations, they told me that would not help me. i would have to find someone on my own and get their bib to run in. i could then reimburse them for their entry fee. thats why i thought the running store might know someone who could not run and would like to get their money back.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

message to dave in paris
thank you for the marathon store. i called them this morning and i tried to speak with a very nice lady but she did not speak english. i was trying to ask her if she knew anyone who was not going to run either because of injury or that it will be too cold, i would buy their running bib. but she did not understand me. i will be arriving thrusday morning.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:23 AM

Xman,

I called the Marathon boutique. Here is their story: You should go to the marathon "village" on Friday. There will be individuals selling their places for one reason or another -- nothing organized, somewhat akin to concert or theater ticket scalping, I gather. You should bring a physician's letter with you, addressed to the marathon organizers, attesting that you are planning to take part in a distance run, and that your health is sufficent. (If you physician has a stramp or seal of some kind, so much the better. Folks over here adore them.) It would be nice if the letter were in French, I'm sure, but you could cross your fingers and hope someone among the "responsible parties" reads English. When (if) you strike a deal on a bib, you should present yourself to the organizers, and ask to be registered. Maybe you could talk the person who's surrendering the bib to go with you for that formality. Good luck!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:27 AM

You are also cordially invited to stop by the Marathon boutique while you're here, and that would be a very nice gesture on your part, since they have been helpful. It also would be good for French-American friendship!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:36 AM

If the physician's letter is a tough last-minute hurdle, call Dr. Francis Slattery, 01.47.42.02.34 in Paris and ask for a Thursday or early Friday morning appointment. He's at 32 rue Vignon in the 9th arrondissement, Metro Madeleine. His secretary is French but speaks English, and he's Irish. (Tell him Dave McMane referred you.)
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:52 AM

Once in a while, there are people on this Board who reinstate my faith in people in general.

This is so nice! I hope XMAN you get in and make the finish! Bon chance!

Good job Dave!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:27 AM

Message: The Marathon boutique suggested stopping by on Saturday. If you do that, you can report on your success! "Passion" makes up for a lot of language difficulties, I find.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

dave, thank you so very much for all your kind help and information. i will do all that you have suggested. can you give me the exact location of this marathon "village"? when i spoke to the lady from the marathon boutique, i told her i would stop by for a visit when i am there. i think she understood that. i will be staying at the hotel regyn's montmartre. if you have the time, call me and i would enjoy meeting you and buying you a glass of wine or beer to thank you for all your help. regards, michael christman
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 11:25 AM

Michael,

Here's the probable answer: in the Parc Floral de Paris, in the Bois de Vincennes (thats's on the east side of Paris).

Runners will be picking up their "dossards" there on Friday starting at 10 a.m.. Don't ask me what dossards are, but it's pretty clear that's what being bought and sold, and what allows you to take part in the race. You might want to re-phone the Marathon boutique to confirm this, or go to the semi-marathon official site, where there's a phone number. I do thank you for the drink invitation but I can't make it this weekend. Just go an extra 10 meters for me!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 11:43 AM

xman, this has been a most interesting read. Please do let us know if you were successful!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:01 AM

Xman,

The Metro stop for the Parc Floral is Chateau de Vincennes, on the No. 1 line, direction Chateau Vincennes.

For the Marathon boutique, the best via-Metro access looks like the Argentine Metro stop on the No. 1 line, direction La Defense, then walking down Courcelles to rue Cardinet (Check a map because you'll be coming above ground at a mid-point on Courcelles and don't want to start out in the wrong direction.)

The Semi Marathon official presence at the Parc Floral is 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday and 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday.
Good luck!