Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question about the new TSA rules pertaining to liquids. Tell me what you think.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I were just discussing the new 'laxer' rules for taking on liquids, etc. The new ruling says that liquids and gels can be brought on board in 3 oz containers, and must fit into a one quart plastic bag. (do they have any idea how much can fit haha). Anyway, I foresee a huge business in 3oz plain plastic bottles and tubs. For example, I wouldn't take the whole bottle of my moisturizer as it is bigger than 3 oz, but would put a bit in the 3 oz. container. So, my question, will the let you through with an unmarked container? Yes sir/madam, this is my Elizabeth Arden moisturizer. Or do you think they will be looking for product identification?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:14 AM

One of the key words in thier announcement is "comfortably" So do not plan on CRAMMING your quart bag to the breaking point. That just gives YOUR TSA agent the opportunity to toss all your stuff.

See the press photo here

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/..._guidance.shtm

I have a feeling that unmarked bottles are going to be a problem. Now if I was the devious type.... I would empty an el "cheapo" container and load my good stuff in it LOL!

(Also, watch for the Gift W/Purhcase and buy them, they are often under 3 oz!)
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:15 AM
J62

Too soon to tell, and if the last 6 weeks are any example it'll vary from airport to airport and screener to screener.

I don't plan to bring anything I can't afford to toss, and I plan to carryon sample sized bottles in original packaging. Mini toothpaste, lotion, shampoo, etc. Stuff I've either purchased at Target or from hotels while traveling.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:02 AM

I think I'd better go reorganize my stuff!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:46 AM

I thought those rules were kind of mysterious, but I'm sure they had their reasons. LIke the idea of filling up a quart bag with smaller containers is something I don't get why that is okay if you end up with a total of 12-6 oz. of stuff. Of course, what the container is marked is irrelevant, but that doesn't mean the TSA might have rules. I always save the original 1-2 oz. bottle containers that I get from hotels or the travel-size samples of shampoo you can buy in drugstores (which are usually 2 oz), and refill them myself from my own products. I've been doing that for years just to save space on what I bring and because the original bottles usually don't leak as much as some of those cheap empty plastic containers you can buy. Lots of moisturizers are available in 1.5 to 3 oz sizes anyway, that should be enough for a trip of quite a while, I think.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:09 AM

I'm bringing a printout of the new rules with me to the airport, just in case a screener "challenges" me...

It doesn't say anything about unmarked containers, though, and I can see them confiscating those on a whim!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

J62 - that's what I think. It is going to vary airport to airport and screener to screener. Very annoying.
Christina - I usually always have the 'trial size' products, but some things I use I have never come across the smaller size. i do like the idea of emptying the 'cheapo' product and reusing the container.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Yippee! Looks as if my lip balm and saline nasal spray will be OK for our upcoming trip!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:25 AM

I'm very annoyed that the size limit is a 3 oz bottle. Yesterday I bought three 4oz bottles of contact lens solution, at a ridiculous price, and now I'll have to check them anyway! And because it needs to be kept sterile, I couldn't transfer it to another bottle if I wanted to. So today I bought a 1 oz bottle of rewetting solution so I'll have something in case my bag gets lost. Grrr...
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Actually, I think it's okay to bring the saline solution in your carry-on in the 4 oz. bottle. This was permissible before the rules were lightened starting 9/26... things like saline solution, KY jelly, etc. were allowed in your carry-on. I'm still planning to bring my 4 oz. bottle of saline solution...
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM

sorry to be a bit contrarian, but now I know why the security lines move so slowly. NO LIQUDS, etc is best. If the TSA has to manually inspect each and every bag that has gone through the xray machine, the lines stop moving. And then people wonder why!
check your bags and things will move a lot faster!!! Each person who "tests' the restriction slows everyone else down. And then you want to debate the issue with a TSA employee and wave a computer print out at him/her?? Hope I'm not behind you trying to catch a flight
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Sunny16, here's some backup for what I posted about the saline solution. I found this on the TSA website FAQs section:

Exceptions
Under certain circumstances, some items from the list above are permitted. To help you understand more about these items and the circumstances under which they are permitted please read below.

Eye drops - You are allowed to carry up to 4 oz., of eye drops with you. Volumes greater than 4 oz., are only permitted in your checked baggage.
Gel Shoe Inserts - Gel shoe inserts are not permitted, but shoes constructed with gel heels are allowed and must be removed and screened.
Prescription and non-prescription medications and other medical needs
Saline solution - You are allowed to carry up to 4 oz., of eye drops with you. Volumes greater than 4 oz., are only permitted in your checked baggage.
Baby formula and food, breast milk and other baby items

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Highledge, no liquids may be "best," but since saline solution is allowed and I wear contact lenses, I'll be bringing it on board! That's why TSA wants everything packed in clear ziplock bags.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:38 PM

What about saline nasal spray?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 03:10 PM

CarolA,
Thanks for looking up and posting the link. Now, if TSA would just let us put our Swiss Army knives in a Ziploc I could go back to carry-on only.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:37 PM

Thank you, strass! I guess I'll try the 4oz and if they make me chuck it, I'll still have 8 oz more checked and the rewetting drops with me.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:14 PM

Anybody know anything about gel sleep-aid pills?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:30 PM

So I'm probably safe taking my 4 oz of saline solution to London, but does anybody have any idea if I can get it OUT of Heathrow back to the US? I just can't imagine spending 11 hours in the air with my contacts stuck to my eyes.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:36 PM

I wonder if this Sept. 26th rule will change again. I guess in returning to the US we need to check with our airlines to find out what is allowed in the carryon baggage.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:37 PM

Gel shoe inserts are verboten, but gel filled bras are ok?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -