Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Question about the islands - Hvar, Vis, Brac

Question about the islands - Hvar, Vis, Brac

Nov 10th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Question about the islands - Hvar, Vis, Brac

I'm planning a trip to Croatia next summer starting in Istria, then Plitvice Lakes, ending in Split. I also want to visit at least two (or all three) of Hvar, Vis and Brac. I see lots of ferries from Split to Hvar, Brac and Vis but don't see much at all about getting from one of these to the other. Anyone have any tips on 'island hopping' between them. Or is it better to go back to Split between them. And if so do they make more sense to do as day trips from Split. I think I want two nights on Hvar but maybe day trips to the others would be sufficient. Don't want extensive beach time. Thinking about 5 nights total for this portion of the trip including Split but we've been to Split so don't want a lot of time there.
Nov 10th, 2018, 04:42 PM
kja

I haven't been to Brac or Vis, so maybe I shouldn't comment, but FWIW, I've never seen ANYONE recommend a day trip to Vis -- its too far.

My understanding is that there are ferries between Hvar and Brac. Have you checked rome2rio.com?

Beyond that, I don't know how to comment without knowing what your purpose would be to going. Hvar and Brac are very, very different places. For that matter, Hvar Town and Stari Grad -- both on Hvar -- are very different.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!
Nov 10th, 2018, 05:48 PM

We visited Vis this past September, and it was our favorite stop in Croatia. It is not very developed, and the towns of Kut and Komiza are very charming. We took a wonderful boat trip to the Blue Cave, Green Cave, and the Blue Lagoon. There is a catamaran only on Tuesdays from Vis to Hvar, and from Hvar to Vis on Thursdays, I believe. Otherwise, you need to return to Split. Many accommodations on Vis require a 3 night stay.

We we enjoyed Hvar also, but I don’t think we would have if we had been there in the summer—too much of a party scene. FWIW—we liked Stari Grad much better than Hvar. However, it depends what you are looking for.

I’m glad we saw Hvar, but I don’t have a burning desire to return. I would go back to Vis in a heartbeat.
Nov 10th, 2018, 06:09 PM

I apologize for hijacking this thread but perhaps the answers I get will also help Isabel. Digbydog, we will be in Split late April, and I plan on a daytrip to an island. Based on the limited ferry schedule at that time of year, I think our best bet is to go to Stari Grad on Hvar from Split. I don't know if late April is similar to September regarding what's open, but do you think there would be enough to do in Stari Grad for the day? Is it easy to get a taxi to bring us to Hvar Town if Stari Grad is too quiet? Are there tours available once we arrive in Stari Grad? Or we could go to Supetar on Brac for the day. Any thoughts on Brac versus Hvar?

Thank you!
Nov 10th, 2018, 06:15 PM
kja

Originally Posted by KarenWoo View Post
I apologize for hijacking this thread but perhaps the answers I get will also help Isabel. Digbydog, we will be in Split late April, and I plan on a daytrip to an island. Based on the limited ferry schedule at that time of year, I think our best bet is to go to Stari Grad on Hvar from Split. I don't know if late April is similar to September regarding what's open, but do you think there would be enough to do in Stari Grad for the day? Is it easy to get a taxi to bring us to Hvar Town if Stari Grad is too quiet? Are there tours available once we arrive in Stari Grad?
Well, I'm not Digbydog, and I also apologize to Isabel for the hijack, but FWIW, KarenWoo, have you looked into what YOU would want to see and experience in Stari Grad? Have you determined whether those things will be open during the time you would be able to be there? Taxis would be available, although I don't know the price -- have you checked the bus schedules connecting those two cities?
Nov 11th, 2018, 02:32 AM

Hi Karen—Stari Grad was much quieter than Hvar, which is why we liked it better. We enjoyed just walking around. There is not much “to do” there, especially if you are going in April. We rented a car to get around the island, visiting Stari Grad, Jelsa, and Vrboska in a day. I have no idea about taxi or bus availability at that time of year.

We stayed in Hvar the second to last week in September, and it was actually still busy, although nothing like summer. My friend went to Hvar Town the last week of September the previous year and said it was dead, and lots was starting to close up. I imagine April would be even quieter. The guesthouse where we stayed in Vis actually closes from October to mid-May.
Nov 11th, 2018, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

My priorities are interesting towns (architecture, street scapes, etc.) and views and being near the water but not necessarily beach time (or partying). That's why on my first Croatia trip I chose Korcula over Hvar (and was very happy with that choice). But Hvar is a UNESCO site and I'd like to see it. I plan to stay in Stari Grad (probably two nights) and day trip over to Hvar town. Hopefully can do that by bus and not have to rent a car.

I know most people go to Brac to go to Bol and the beach but the main place I want to see is Pucisca which is in several books/lists I have of 'charming/interesting/picturesque' small towns in Europe. So I'm thinking a day trip to Brac might be enough. I did check rome2rio and it does look possible to go from Brac to Hvar but almost looks quicker to go back to Split.

digbydog - thank's for that info on Vis. Wasn't sure if it was worth visiting given that it's a bit more difficult to get to. I'll check those days of the week, that may be why I wasn't seeing that route as I was just checking random days.
Nov 11th, 2018, 05:53 AM

There are daily (in summer) catamarans from Bol (Brac Island) to Jelsa (Hvar Island).
Milna (Brac Island) - Vis: every Wednesday
Hvar - Vis: every Tuesday.
Daily connections via Split.
https://www.jadrolinija.hr/en/sailin...cal-lines-2018
Timetables for 2019 are not yet published.
Nov 11th, 2018, 09:07 AM
kja

I spent two nights in Stari Grad and took a bus to visit Hvar Town, so it definitely can be done!
Nov 13th, 2018, 08:12 AM

The two main operators are Krilo and Jadrolinija. You are correct that it is often easier to go back to Split, but peek at the schedules to see what you could cobble together. I would not try to visit Vis as a day trip--better to be there a few days to soak it in, and transport is a bit of an issue (it was the natural scenery on the island that I fell in love with more than Vis town itself). The hop over to Brac should be doable though. You could take a bus from Stari Grad to Jelsa, then hop over to Bol on a catamaran or day boat, then bus over to Pucisca, but that may be taxing--you could probably arrange a driver in Bol. (In fact, that sounds like a great idea--have them drive you to the monastery at Blaca too, then they could deposit you at the best place to get back to Hvar).
Bus between Stari Grad and Hvar=no problem. On Brac, bus was less convenient in my experience, but in summer it may be less problematic.
Nov 13th, 2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Digbydog View Post
Hi Karen—Stari Grad was much quieter than Hvar, which is why we liked it better. We enjoyed just walking around. There is not much “to do” there, especially if you are going in April. We rented a car to get around the island, visiting Stari Grad, Jelsa, and Vrboska in a day. I have no idea about taxi or bus availability at that time of year.

We stayed in Hvar the second to last week in September, and it was actually still busy, although nothing like summer. My friend went to Hvar Town the last week of September the previous year and said it was dead, and lots was starting to close up. I imagine April would be even quieter. The guesthouse where we stayed in Vis actually closes from October to mid-May.
Digbydog, Thank you very much for your helpful comments. I will look into renting a car in Stari Grad.
Nov 14th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Planning trips is sometimes like doing a puzzle (and actually that's one thing I like about trip planning). In the case of this trip, when we depart Split we are flying to Lyon, France but the flights only go 3 times a week. From Lyon we (eventually) fly back to the US and the flight to our local airport only goes 3 times a week. So it's a coordination problem to get the right number of days and leave/arrive on the right day of the week. Now adding in the days of the week that you can travel from Vis to other islands...... Anyway, doesn't look feasible for us this time. Probably will skip Vis and just do Brac and Hvar.
Nov 14th, 2018, 08:04 PM
kja

I know what you mean about the puzzles of trip planning! I think you are wise to skip Vis on this trip, and to make time for both Stari Grad and Hvar Town -- and Brac if the ferry schedules work. Enjoy!

Search this Thread