Search

Question about parking in Nafplio

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about parking in Nafplio

Hello,
We have reservations at the Omorfi Poli hotel in Nafplio for May. It is located in the Old town and looks lovely, everything we are looking for. And the price is right! We plan on renting a car at the Athens Airport (upon arriving from Naxos). I just realized the Omorfi does not have on-site parking, and apparently this is common in Nafplio. Their website does say there is free parking in the big public parking lot at the port. A few people on TripAdvisor commented they did not have problems finding parking spaces, but one person did say finding a space is not always easy. My husband will do the driving and I don't want him to get stressed out looking for a parking space. We do plan on visiting some of the ancient sites. Has anyone stayed at hotels in Nafplio that didn't have on-site parking, and what was your experience like? Was it difficult finding parking?

Thank you!
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 03:23 PM

There may not be parking right next to the hotel, but there is a lot of street parking and 2 parking lots within easy walking distance. I wouldn't worry about it if i were you.
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 03:29 PM

Welcome to the Old World, Karen! When Nafplio Old Town was buil, largely in gorgeous Italianate architecture, 4 centuries ago, and there WERE no cars. There were not even many privately-owned horse-drawn vehicles. So the streets are narrow, and the houses are largely terraced, i.e., attached... with doors opending directly on the lanes. Virtually none of the hotels in Old Town have Parking, except for that huge govt-built thing up on Acronafplia, & who wants to stay there. However -- this is a port, for centuries very busy with ships -- and a wide cement pier to accommodate. Today the only vessels are yachts & a very occasional ship, & the broad cement apron is used for free parking . On this Mapl - Question about parking in Nafplio-nafplion_map.jpg - from the corner "bend" to Platia Ag Anastasiu perhaps 3/4 of a mile It can hold thousands of cars in about 4 rows. Plenty of room for locals & visitors until busy season. In past, when visiting in May, we found parking spots easily. Still, when I was there June 3-7 in 2019, It was in a heat wave, all hotels were full, and so was parking lot... we had to park about 1/2 mile away. OF course our hotel was Agammemon, in "prime location" right by the seafront cafe row. Since Omorfo is toward the north end, On a quiet lane but near to the street (Syngrou- see map) that marks the informal boundary of Old Town, it should be a bit easier. What is more, to the right of Syngrou, "New Town" begins, and wider streets, plenty of places to find parking.
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, brotherleelove and travelerjan! I feel much better. Travelerjan, you should write your own Greece guidebook!
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 08:02 AM

Thanks Karen! I once thought about it, but since I made a living at the keyboard for 40 years, it seemed like more of the job ... so, not yet.
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 01:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Karen, we stayed in Old Town and never had any problem finding parking
in the places mentioned by the other posters. We love Napflio!
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
Karen, we stayed in Old Town and never had any problem finding parking
in the places mentioned by the other posters. We love Napflio!
Thanks, HappyTrvlr, I appreciate your post. Hearing these things from more people make me feel better about our hotel choice. I really didn't want to change hotels, and it looks like many/most hotels do not have their own parking.