question about Belgium

Old Jan 17th, 2022, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about Belgium

One of my college friends has never been to Europe and I'm more than happy to finally whisk him around the continent and. Our first stop will be Amsterdam and we'll finish in Munich for Oktoberfest (if it happens) We'll be Brussels for 3 days after a train from Amsterdam so my question is this: Will we be required to apply for Covidsafe pass or can we just flash our US vaccination cards like I did in France, Switzerland, Germany, and Italy? Any requirements for trains/public transportation? The trip is to take place in late September but curious as to what Americans are having to do now.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 01:09 AM

Who knows by the time Oktoberfest happens. Currently you cannot get an EU approved covid QR code with your US card in the Netherlands, though it is (or will be when everything reopens) required. There is talk of a tourist version becoming available but when is anyone's guess. The US card is not accepted. If you have a valid covid pass from another EU country you can use it in the rest of them, though there can be extra requirements.
But as I said by the time Oktoberfest comes around who knows what the requirements, if any, will be.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2 View Post
Who knows by the time Oktoberfest happens. Currently you cannot get an EU approved covid QR code with your US card in the Netherlands, though it is (or will be when everything reopens) required. There is talk of a tourist version becoming available but when is anyone's guess. The US card is not accepted. If you have a valid covid pass from another EU country you can use it in the rest of them, though there can be extra requirements.
But as I said by the time Oktoberfest comes around who knows what the requirements, if any, will be.
Thanks for your response. I was wondering about Belgium and didn't even consider the situation flying into the Netherlands. Hopefully things will be better by then.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Thanks for your response. I was wondering about Belgium and didn't even consider the situation flying into the Netherlands. Hopefully things will be better by then.
We spent a week in Belgium this past fall. We traveled by train directly from the Amsterdam airport & flew home from Schiphol.
Booked all our rail via the Belgium rail app & there were no mandates about COVID (I think they assume if you were allowed to arrive, you're OK)
There were no checks to get on the train in either country, just needed a mask.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 10:44 AM

I can't remember at when QR codes became a requirement here, but since you went directly to Belgium you would not have needed one in the Netherlands, which is just as well as you wouldn't have got one or been able legally to enter any bars restaurants etc.
Many countries are now on a 2G rule - fully vaccinated and boostered or proof of recent recovery, usually needing a QR code from an EU compatible app and ID.
The rules change so often that things can be different from one day to the next, so how it will be several months hence is anyone's guess.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 01:02 PM

Hi Tailsock, you might find this website helpful; it has the current restrictions and rules for coronavirus as they apply in Belgium, and whenever there is a change, it is updated here:

https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/travels/

I have selected for you the page which discusses travel restrictions, but there is a wealth of other information there as well.

Good luck!

Lavandula

Old Jan 18th, 2022, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavandula View Post
Hi Tailsock, you might find this website helpful; it has the current restrictions and rules for coronavirus as they apply in Belgium, and whenever there is a change, it is updated here:

https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/travels/

I have selected for you the page which discusses travel restrictions, but there is a wealth of other information there as well.

Good luck!

Lavandula
Thank you. That's helpful.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 05:43 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Will we be required to apply for Covidsafe pass or can we just flash our US vaccination cards like I did in France, Switzerland, Germany, and Italy?

Curious when you were in Switzerland. I'm thinking it was pre-mid October 2021? I ask because we visited in October and had the Swiss COVID certificate. Just showing our CDC cards would have been problematic in a few areas.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Melnq8 View Post
Will we be required to apply for Covidsafe pass or can we just flash our US vaccination cards like I did in France, Switzerland, Germany, and Italy?

Curious when you were in Switzerland. I'm thinking it was pre-mid October 2021? I ask because we visited in October and had the Swiss COVID certificate. Just showing our CDC cards would have been problematic in a few areas.
I went with my brother in law in late August for 10 days. The only times we were asked for our CDC cards were at the hotels and the airport of course. Days after we returned Switzerland implemented their COVID pass system. We were both grateful to have avoided the extra measures as this gave some travelers headaches.

Last edited by tailsock; Jan 18th, 2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 01:30 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, we were worried about the whole Swiss COVID Pass thing, but it worked really well. As soon as we landed in Zurich we went to a pharmacy in the airport, showed our CDC cards and passports, paid 30 chf each and voilą we were set. They're good throughout Europe, so it also would have worked for our trip to Austria, Italy and Germany this past December, but alas we had to cancel as things were getting too complicated otherwise.
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Melnq8 View Post
Yeah, we were worried about the whole Swiss COVID Pass thing, but it worked really well. As soon as we landed in Zurich we went to a pharmacy in the airport, showed our CDC cards and passports, paid 30 chf each and voilą we were set. They're good throughout Europe, so it also would have worked for our trip to Austria, Italy and Germany this past December, but alas we had to cancel as things were getting too complicated otherwise.
I would LOVE IT if my friend and I were able to do something like that when landing in Amsterdam.