Reload this Page >

Belgium business trip, things to do in the evenings in Belgium

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 08:57 AM
Shelly

I'm travelling to Gosselies, Belgium, in August for a business trip. This is my first trip overseas. Does anyone have any advice on things to do in the evenings either in Gosselies or Brussels. Will a 29 y/o woman travelling alone be an easy target for trouble? What type of clothing is appropriate for business and sightseeing? ANY information is welcome. Thanks!!! <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 10:50 AM
wes fowler

Shelly, <BR>I'm not certain you'll find any significant nightlife in Gosselines, an industrial suburb of Charleroi, but you certainly will in Brussels which you can get to by train! By all means visit the Grand'Place after dark; the ornate Gothic Hotel de Ville and the adjoining 17th century guild halls are truly impressive when lit up at night. Immediately north of the 'Place is a rabbit warren of narrow streets lined with restaurants that I'd suggest you NOT consider for dining (they're geared to tourists and overpriced). Do wander through to see the ornate displays of seafood that compete with one another. To dine, walk west from the 'Place on Rue au Beurre past the Bourse, cross the large boulevard and continue for two blocks to St. Katelijne street (Rue Ste Catherine) which is lined with excellent restaurants far less expensive than those near the 'Place. <BR> <BR>If you are looking for a truly unique experience, attend the Toone Puppet Theatre located in the restaurant area north of the 'Place that I don't recommend for dining. It's in a little cul de sac off the Rue des Bouchers. You may find yourself watching an opera by Bizet or a play by Shakespeare performed by artfully costumed puppets. The theatre has been operated by the Toone family for over seven generations and offers a unique experience. Its pub isn't bad, either! <BR> <BR>I'll leave it to the lady respondents to address clothing. <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 12:13 PM
jackie

<BR>being Belgian myself I would suggest you spend as much time as your waistline will permit <BR>drinking the wonderful and various beers,and gorging on white asparagus! Belgium has a multitude of great restaurants for both.I never had any trouble traveling alone,eating alone,etc. The only awkward moment was in Bruges(not to be missed)when a flemish speaking waiter flamed my french request.English however spoken almost everywhere.Have fun! <BR>

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 05:48 AM
caryn

I don't think you have to worry about being a woman alone, especially in northern Europe. I don't know where Gosselies is, but try to get to Brugges. It is a beautiful place, recommended many times in various posting on this bulletin board. Go out of your way to get here, about 30 minutes from Brussels.

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 11:25 AM
wes fowler

Shelly, <BR>It's me again! If you're in Belgium from August 14 to 18, be sure to visit the Grand'Place in Brussels where a carpet of 700,000 begonias is arrayed in the Place. You'll experience something unique if you go to the second floor balcony of the town hall in the Place for a stunning view of this ornate, immense (80 by 250 feet) carpet of flowers.