Search

Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello everyone. I'm from Russia, so sorry for my English.
I have a question. *Would you buy accessories for mobile technology in the store, located in the hotel?* The prices are not too high.
Accessoires: USB-flash, SD-card, moblie charger, portable charger and other.
Thanks for your answers.
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 03:17 AM

Probably not. The high rents charged to shops in hotels mean that their prices must be higher than those in less expensive locations. This is certainly the case with jewelry and watches.

On the other hand, the prices might be enough better than what you might pay in Russia that you would rather spend your time doing something other than trying to save money.

Your English is excellent, by the way. Do you know the expression "time is money?" It applies here.
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 03:18 AM

No - there is no way I would buy these things in a hotel. You are liable to pay much lower prices if you look for a specialty/discount store.

However, if you don;t care what you pay and buying in the hotel is convenient go right ahead.

If you tell us what city you will be in someone local can probably make recos for good deals.
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 03:45 AM

No I would not.
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 07:56 AM

If the price was less than what I would pay in a store at home, if the quality and brand was recognisable to me, and if it would save me the hassle and time of looking for and dealing with a local store (language barrier, explaining exactly what I want) when I could be sight-seeing, then I would - and I have (for small things like batteries and SD cards).

When I was in St. Petersberg, Russia, I needed some rechargeable batteries for my camera and bought some in the hotel store for less than I would pay at home. Four years later, I'm still using those batteries while the ones I bought at home are long gone.

However if you don't mind shopping around and enjoy that experience, then definitely do that. You'll also be exposed to a bigger range of product to choose from.
I did this in Budapest, and bought a very light and excellent folding tripod stand from a local camera shop I was passing. It was a third of the price that I would have paid for at home.

Don't forget that the voltage and plug/socket types might be different than what you have at home. You might need an adaptor.