Quaint chalet for overnight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In September, we will be pre-tour staying in Zurich before visiting Interlaken/Jungfrau, Lucerne/Mt Pilatus. We would like to do one overnight trip while in Zurich where the main goal is to stay in a small, quaint, "old world" chalet overlooking a beautiful village in a valley. Can anyone pinpoint a place that meets these criteria?
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 07:08 PM

This will do nicely: https://www.mountainhostel.com
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Ok, so we're 54 and 61. Celebrating our 25th. While that does look amazing, I'd say we're looking for something a little more couple (read old people) friendly
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 08:03 AM

right next to Mountain Hostel in Gimmelwald is a chalet-style hotel with similar views and several other options just up your alley in lovely Gimmelwald:

Gimmelwald | Accommodation

That said Gimmelwald is a long long haul for a one-night stay - rather look near Lucerne like on Mt Rigi or small villages overlooking the lovely lake.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 04:39 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Do I understand correctly that you will arrive in Zurich, want to overnight somewhere and then return to Zurich for the start of your tour?

If so, how about Engelberg? About two hours each way via train.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Yes, that's right. I guess what I'm looking for more than where to go, is where to stay Our tour takes us just where we want to go but we will stay in larger, more modern hotels. I want one night of "sleeping in the Alps." Something small and sweet.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 06:34 PM
kja

"Small and sweet" and "sleeping in the Alps" near Zurich -- I think Melnq8 may have given you an excellent option.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 01:12 AM

Hi marybeth33,

The problem I'm having with your post/request is that Zürich really isn't in the Alps. So, I can't figure out if you want to travel a bit (3 or 4 hours...) to get that sleeping in the Alps experience. You could come close in Luzern or the surrounds of Luzern, but even that would be about 2h, as Melnq8 has noted.

Anyway, here are some options.

Hotel Alpenrose, Wengen, about 3h from Zurich. I've stayed in this sweet, family-owned, 3-star hotel twice, and I love it. It has views across to the Alps and down into the valley. It is a chalet structure.

Hotel Alpenrose Wengen Berner Oberland Schweiz - Willkommen in Wengen

I've never stayed at the 2-star Hotel Bären in Wengen, but I've heard great things about it. If you want to consider it, it's at

https://www.baeren-wengen.ch/en/

Hotel Le Grand Chalet, Gstaad, also about 3h from Zürich. I stayed in this hotel one time, and I loved it, but its price makes it ineligible for a return, for me. It sits above the town with very sweet views of Gstaad and the mountains -- they have a van and will pick you up from the train station.

www.grandchalet.ch

Probably larger than you wanted to consider, but the very best hotel I've ever stayed at was the HUUS Hotel in Gstaad, but it was when it was part of the Steigenberger group. The views were amazing. It's a 4-star.

https://huusgstaad.com/en/

Finally, if you want to follow Melnq8's suggestion and stay in Engelberg, just do a search for "hotels, Engelberg" on Google maps, and lots of options will come up. You can hover your cursor over each hotel to see if it's chalet style or not.... For example, I see the Hotel Garni Hostatt, the Hotel-Restaurant Bänkliap, Hotel Cathrin, and more.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 08:03 AM

Try Berghotel Alpina Pizol

It's east of Zürich, at the top station of gondola Wangs - Furt.

At sbb.ch Plug in FROM <Zürich Flughafen> TO <Furt (Bergstation)> and set the day/time. The gondola operates from 6 July on daily. Trains, bus, gondola - less than 2 hours to the hotel.