Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Day trip from Zurich: 3 adults, self vs viator

Day trip from Zurich: 3 adults, self vs viator

May 22nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Day trip from Zurich: 3 adults, self vs viator

Hello,

This is for 3 adults. They are staying in Zurich for 3 days.
They are doing the following (booked):
Bernina express (Tirano to Zurich)
Day trip to Lucerne
Tour of Zurich.

They have 1 free day. They were thinking of booking a viator tour (http://www.viator.com/tours/Zurich/J.../d577-2460JUNG

http://www.viator.com/tours/Zurich/B...85PANORAMA_ZUR)

but since they are very expensive, I wanted to first ask the forum if there is a comparable trip that they can do without viator?

Thanks,
S
May 22nd, 2014, 12:32 PM

This is a very long trip from Zurich and it is perfectly possible that they won't get to see what they want.

The tallest mountains are often wreathed in clouds and when they are you can't see anything - even your hand in front of your face.

When there is a day clear at the top you need to ascend immediately from the base (not from 2.5 hours away in zurich - which could mean it is socked in when you do get there). We stayed in Interlaken (seeing other nearby sights) 3 days before we got one with the Jungfrau clear at the top. We went up immediately and had great views on the way up and from there. But by the time we had returned to the valley the mountains were covered with clouds.

So - no, I wouldn't do this from Zurich at all - either by tour or independently. Better to try one of the mountains near Lucerne, which are much lower and have a higher percentage of days with good visibility.

But I wouldn;t stay in Zurich at all - but in Lucerne or Interlaken - to be nearer the gorgeous lakes, mountains and mountain villages.

and if they do decide to do this they MUST NOT pay in advance - not until they know the mountaintop is clear that day.
May 22nd, 2014, 12:36 PM

Yes, of course it can be done on their own, but given the very long day involved, not to mention the high cost, I would consider doing the Golden Roundtrip up Mt. Pilatus from Lucerne. The TI in either Luzern or Zurich Hauptbahnhof (maintain station) can advise you how to complete and book. It involves a lovely boat trip on Lake Lucerne to Alpnachstad, then a steep funicular up to Pilatus Kulm and go down the opposite side by train and cable car. Still pricey, but less than Jungfrau and far less time -consuming. Another mountain option is Mt.Rigi.
May 22nd, 2014, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

ok, so scratching Jungfrau..

Golden Roundtrip sounds good.. Anything else?
May 22nd, 2014, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi, So since the Golden Roundtrip includes a visit to Lucern, what do you suggest as an alternative on a different day (i.e. since probably would'nt do a separate visit to Lucern).

Do you suggest booking the Golden Roundtrip by self or taking a tour (CHF 146)?

Thanks,
S
May 22nd, 2014, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Sorry but let me explain

Day 1: First day in Zurich so would like to take it very easy but do something eg. Limmat river cruise or lake cruise + beer garden?
Day 2: Golden roundtrip + Lucerne
Day 3: Guided tour of Zurich + Rapperswil + Heidiland? OR something else?

i.e. would like to have enough variety..

Thanks again!
May 22nd, 2014, 06:00 PM

Take the train to Lucerne - about an hour from Zurich. Opposite the railway station you will see the boat station where you can buy your ticket for the trip to Mt Pilatus. Obviously you will need to check the timetables to make sure you get as much out of the day as you can. You don't need to do it as a tour. If you are travelling with a rail pass, you may get a discount.

Search this Thread