Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Putting the Jeans in Italy question to rest once and for all!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Fred

Just returned from two weeks in Italy. Rome Venice and Tuscany, and I am here to say that there are huge numbers of people (yes, even native Italians in large numbers) wearing every style, color, brand, and tightness level of blue jeans imaginable! We saw jeans everywhere, including every restaurant we went into. Jeans appear very popular among Italian men (aged 30 to 60) for casually dressy wear with a colored cotton dress shirt, open at the collar, blazer, and nice leather loafers, often with no socks. Don't listen to other posters about what to wear, jeans are widely worn through out Italy. I would stick with newer jeans, and keep them pressed if possible.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Debby

We also ust got back, and I do agree there were jeans everywhere, but not as many in Rome. It was easy to pick the tourists out in Rome. they were wearing shorts and jeans. It was getting hot, so I imagine more shorts will be showing up now that we are home. We traveled for 2 and one half weeks and felt safe even though we made no atempts to hide we were American.<BR><BR>Debby

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:50 AM
x

What about those stupid pants with the zip-off legs? I bet that took a prominent place in Fred and Ethel's luggage.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 08:06 AM
once

&lt;&lt;once and for all&gt;&gt;!! Now there's a laugh and a half!!<BR><BR>This "question" will re-surface every so often from now until togas come back, and then it will keep coming back then, too!<BR>

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Capo

I thought that about the "once and for all part" too. <BR><BR>Anyway, that's been my observation too, Fred. The thing I don't think one sees a lot in Italy, at least with Italians, is jeans with running/athletic shoes.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 08:27 AM
stephanie

who cares about what you wear? silly silly.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 01:14 PM
ab

Hey, whats wrong with the zip off pants?<BR>Here in Italy my kids love them.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 01:54 PM
cheryl

I didn't see alot of people in jeans-but who cares! Wear what you feel comfortable in. Shoes are the most important. I still don't know how the women walk around in the boot type slides with the REALLY pointed toes-they all look like elves-every store carries them & every women wears them....OUCH!

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Suzzanne

I saw jeans on many teens and twentysomething Italian mean and women. The average Italian wore basic, classic clothes. I chose to dress that way in Europe...I wore very light weight black pants, button down short sleeve oxford type shirt (also light weight) and comfortable walking shoes or running shoes. When I was in my walking shoes, sometimes people would come up to me and speak Italian, assuming I was a native. When I wore my running shoes, people would speak English to me!!!<BR><BR>I think jeans would be way too hot. Ironically, only tourists were in shorts - I can't think of one instant where I saw an Italian in shorts.<BR><BR>I think you should wear what you will be most comfortable in and what would travel well. Once, when wearing my sneakers, I heard the coment "American" behind my back. However, I could walk for miles each day and still have comfortable feet. I saw a number of Italian women with band-aids on their feet due to wearing high heals on cobblestones.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Glenda

I just returned from Rome and everyone had on jeans...they are expensive in Italy and Rome...Levis run about 75 euros ($65) ...I never felt out of place-- a nice pair with a white cotten shirt, sandels...and I'm 53 years old...

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Kris

The worst thing about traveling with jeans is that they take so long to dry when you're doing laundry along the way. I took mine for our 3 week trip to Europe last year but this year, left them home. Takes up too much room and too long to dry. If this isn't a concern though, yes...you do see lots of jeans through out all of Europe. Kris

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Howard

For the sake of accuracy: Glenda, you're a little off on your exchange rate. Currently 75 euro is equal to about $70, not $65.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Marilyn

Hey! Those zip-off pants are one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century. Especially the really good ones that dry in a few hours. After everything I've read on this site about packing light, what more could you ask for? I'm not suggesting you wear them out to dinner in a major European capital, but for walking around during the day, what's wrong with them? <BR><BR>And why is everyone SO defensive about being American? Or looking American? The rest of the world is (mostly) quite happy to embrace American pop culture, jeans included. Just remember your manners, be considerate and open-minded, remember you are a visitor and a guest in another country, and no one will shun you for being American.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Louise

It is not the fact that you are wearing jeans, it is what you are packing into them. Big arses seen from the rear are not a pretty sight packed into tight jeans. Get a lithe body then wear the jeans, in the meantime look at your rear view in a full length mirror then decide.