Reload this Page >

Purse substitute

Search

Purse substitute

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 09:20 AM
Diane

Purse substitute

<BR>I am going to England this month for the first time and would like to know the safest way to carry around money, maps, umbrella, tour books etc. Also how the weather will be for the month of September. Thank you!

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 10:17 AM
Lee

Diane: Being a man, I'm not used to having to carry a purse, so my advice may not be as useful. I have traveled and lived in Europe (Germany), so I have a feel for what is a good idea and what isn't. Here's what I do: <BR> <BR>Do's: Take only the money that you need and one credit card when out and about. Leave your valuables and room key in your hotel safe. Keep cash, credit card, etc. in a pocket if possible. Keep mainly items that you could part with in your purse. Some people use a "fanny pack", but I don't. If you do, you might want to wear a sign: "I'm an American tourist". If you rent a car, keep it locked and nothing in sight. Keep packages, etc. close to you. <BR> <BR>Don'ts: Hanging around in dark or seedy areas is not a good idea, anywhere. Pulling large sums of money out or having purses, bags, etc. open invites problems. Pickpockets are in many tourist areas, so be aware. Going out of your way to announce that you are a tourist is not good idea. <BR> <BR>Finally, I lived in Germany and have visited most western European countries and have not had one incident. It's safe if you're smart. <BR> <BR>Have a good trip! <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 12:34 PM
kam

Gee, for a man, that's really good advice! The other thing to remember is that most of England is quite safe, although I've been told that parts of London are a bit dicey, but you wouldn't want to go to them anyway. Only thing I would add is that my husband and I each carry only one credit card---my Visa and his Amex. Thus, if one is taken, the acct. can be quickly closed and we still have a back up. I've never taken travellers checks---just use your ATM card and deal in cash. The only thing I can't get around is my big camera with the telephoto and I'm not willing to give up the pictures! So, there's always something, but the pickpockets want cash, not something like a camera, maps, books etc. The weather should be as good as it gets in England--toward the end of the month it could get rainy, early it might be quite warm. Enjoy. <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 03:18 PM
Joyce

I always carry a string bag in Europe, like the ones "natives" carry for their grocery purchases, etc. Its capacity is virtually limitless - maps, tour books, sweater, even camera wrapped in sweater. My cooler weather jacket has a zippered outside breast pocket into which my small travel billfold just fits. If too warm for that, then billfold, lipstick, any other necessities go into a small Ziplock bag buried in the string bag. It is basically weightless, is easy to carry looped around the wrist and tightly grasped around the neck. While nothing is absolutely foolproof, it works for me. <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 06:53 AM
Ellen

I just got back from touring Italy for three weeks and had the same issues. For me, it was essential to keep my hands free, and also not to strain an already bad back. I opted for a travel vest. Light weight, khaki color. Matched everything. Had a million pockets--inside and out! When I got tired of wearing it, my husband took his turn. We also stuffed a fold up Sport Sack bag in one pocket (turns into a tote bag) in case we bought a lot of things or it was too hot to wear the vest. Have fun!

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 07:33 AM
Paul Rabe

When abroad, I pretty much leave my wallet at home, taking ONLY what I absolutely need -- passport, ATM and/or credit card, travellers checks (if I feel I need them). I only take driver's license if I'm renting car (which I try to avoid in Europe, as their mass transit is usually much better than a car). <BR> <BR>For passport and large denomination bills or travelers checks, I put them in a money belt that I wear underneath my shirt. It's clumsy and time-consuming to get them out, but that's the idea isn't it? <BR>For a credit card and/or ATM card, I carry in a shirt pocket underneath a small vest or sweater. Again, it's not easy for me take out. Sometimes I put a few large bills there for convenience. <BR>Small bills go in my front pockets. <BR>I carry a flight bag and/or camera bag, both slung around my neck and then down in front of me, always cradled with my arm. Again, it's clumsy and puts strain on my back, but it's pretty much impossible for anyone to sneak into or quickly grab and run. I am aware that some bandits can cut sling and grab the object in just a couple seconds, but this is a risk I'm willing to take. <BR> <BR>More important than carrying your valuables in a "safe" place is keeping your distance away from EVERYONE and, if this is not possible (like on a train), then keeping an eye on all of them at all times. This creates a strain on my enjoyment of the visit, but it has prevented me and my wife from EVER having stuff stolen in any of the fifteen European countries we've visited!

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 12:55 PM
caryn

I'm with Paul--Keep all money and valuables in a concealed money belt available at any travel store. I'm very surprised noone else mentioned this.

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 02:42 PM
Marcia

I just used a "save the back" purse, available in lots of catalogues. I got mine from Travelsmith, but I've seen them elsewhere. I got the smallest, lightest one I could - nylon, black. I have some back issues, so I kept the strap very short, so that with the strap over my shoulder the purse tucked into the crook of my arm. It was very comfortable. The assorted pockets all worked very well. It's a kind of curved shape, so you can wear it with the curve in either direction, which means, zipper facing back or front - facing front, and therefore into your body - is safer. <BR> <BR>We also all had at least one pair of slacks or walking shorts from Travelsmith that had zippered inner pockets (inside the main pocket), and often a soft cotton gauze pocket hanging from the inside waist band. We all used the zippered pockets. <BR> <BR>For purposes of minimizing weight, try to share the fun. My son got the camera case and my husband got the water bottles. I try to leave guidebooks in the room - just taking a map, and if necessary, a list of addresses etc. Read the guidebook before and after if you possibly can. If it is urgently necessary and weight is a problem, photo copy the pages, or tear/scissor them out. You can always staple them and tuck them back in. When I don't have help, I don't carry a camera, or I carry only a tiny light camera, often a disposable. If I need the big camera for slides (I'm an art historian) I try to bunch all the picture taking into a couple of sessions - and then I have a camera bag which holds a little something - money, credit card, one pair of glasses. <BR> <BR>If you need an umbrella, shop for one of these new tiny ones - they don't weigh much, they don't cost much. And remember, a cheap umbrella can be jettisoned in teh last hotel room if you need just a smidgeon more room to get all the new treasures home in your bags! <BR> <BR>I've been traveling internationally and in this country since 1962. Maybe I'm just dumb-stupid lucky, but I've never messed with money belts or any of that kind of stuff. You just have to exercise reasonable care about where you are and how you are handling your money. But that applies daily, any time, any where unless you live in a rural area. <BR>The only thing I ever lost was a passport, which was my own silly 18 year old fault for taking it out for reasons unremembered and then leaving it on the table in a restaurant. This was the mid-60's. A nice American passport was a nice thing to sell for use in Eastern Europe - so it was gone, instant presto. I've been more careful ever since - especially after the very tired, very frazzled junior embassy official in Paris chewed me out, up one side and down the other, and lambasted my traveling companions for good measure too! We took my nice new passport and went even more quietly and well behaved into the world than we hand been before! Growing up is always an adventure. <BR> <BR>A final note: fanny packs are not secure. It is all too easy for them to evaporate off your waist: if you have it in front and the latch is in back, you are vulnerable. If you have it in back it can be opened. the same goes for daypacks and these new kind of backpack purses are even more vulnerable. My son just had a little tiny combination lock on his day pack for the few times he felt vulnerable, because he had several thousand dollars worth of musical instruments in there. No one bothered him, but he felt more secure. <BR> <BR>Now - go and have fun!! Please!!!

Old Sep 4th, 1998, 07:47 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Hi - have to agree with Marcia above for type of purse. I too have a bad back, also bad left shoulder, and want my hands free. I went a step further, and changed the narrow strap with a wider strap for heavy cameras which distributes the weight more evenly.(I think I may have paid more for the strap than I did the bag!) It's a lifesaver, and now use it at home too. It's ideal with it's small size and the cmpartmens, and fits my small camera too, and smaller maps, tour brochures. It's draped over my right shoulder, hangs on my left side and my left arm is usually holding on to straps, or resting on the bag. <BR>I used to use fanny belts, but I too, believe they advertise "I'm a tourist". Also have tried money belts, but haven't in years. Have traveled all over and never had a problem, just have to keep eyes/ears open, and use common sense.

Old Sep 4th, 1998, 09:04 AM
Diane

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies to my dilemma! I at least know how to proceed with that part of my trip. <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 07:47 AM
Robin

Another vote for the "healthy back bag". I'd suggest buying it thru the Norm Thompson catalog (1-800-547-1160). I borrowed a friends bag last year on my trip to Italy & could fit everything in it - (money, camera, guide book, umbrella, etc.). It was the medium size bag. If you not quite a schlepper like I am, then the small size may be suitable for all your purse size needs. Due to it's design, the bag is GREAT for comfort. It fits snug against your body & you're less "weighted" down even if carrying a heavy load. Also, the design is security minded in that the main zipper is not easily accessible by pick-pockets. Personally, I despise fanny packs. They scream "tourista" & they make you look fat. And in fact, the only time I had any problem in Italy is the one day I did wear a fanny pack (okay, I broke my own rule) & after getting off a crowded subway, saw that my zipper was undone. Fortunately, everything was jammed in so tight, that they were not able to get anything out.

Old Sep 14th, 1998, 10:14 AM
Don Stadler

The real safety issue is your money, credit cards, ATM card, and passport. For these I recommend a neck wallet. This is a pouch whch can be worn around the neck, generally with an adjustable cord. Don't take a wallet at all. <BR> <BR>Take both an ATM card and a credit card. In Italy and Greece I found that US issued ATM cards often didn't work in the machines for days at a time. Mastercard always worked, though the exchange rate wasn't as good. Travellers checks are a good backup as well. <BR> <BR>Apart from that I just wore a knapsack. Not infrequently I'd find the zipper partially open (when I didn't leave it that way). But pickpockets don't find extra clothing, guidebooks, or shoes worth picking. They want jewelry or money, so you are alright. expensive-looking camera or videocassette recorders can be a problem. They are valuable, small, and their straps are easily slitable. I never heard of a problem in most of northern Europe, but watch out for Rome or Paris!

Old Dec 31st, 2011, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After several years of trips to Europe, we perfected a method that works for us.
I carry a zippered on-the-shoulder bag made out of light weight nylon (just a regular handbag I bought one summer) which I tuck securely on my shoulder and under my arm when we're out in the street. Our "vaulables" - money, credit card, id are in it. The bag has an open (non zippered)outer pocket where I stuff the map and any pages with info. That way it's easy to get to.
My husband carries a small(very) backpack where we stuff in a water bottle, hats, sweaters, umbrella, suntan lotion in the summer etc... That way it's really easy to get to those bulky items. If anybody really wants to pickpocket a water bottle, they're welcome to it!
I use a small digital camera so it's in my handbag in a separate zippered pocket which I sewed in myself.
Divide and conquer is the best.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 04:20 AM

Oh, I forgot. We don't carry around our passports or room key -we leave them where we are staying. (We always try to find lodging that has a room safe.) We photocopy our passports and carry them around. Never had a problem and we've been all over Europe that way.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 06:36 AM

I don't mind the thread being old - it's still helpful to me!
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 06:43 AM

No matter where we are traveling, I use a purse with a zippered attached wallet. I wear it across my body (long strap, over the shoulder). My husband has travel pants with zippered front pockets. We also use a cross body (one strap) back pack, it has two zippers that we secure with a safety pin. The safety pin isn't very high tech but have you ever tried to open one on a bag while someone is walking? Really hard to do.

You just have to pay attention to where you are and keep track of your belongings.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 06:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW, in the UK you don't need to carry your passport.

it will be much safer in the safe in your hotel room.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 07:21 AM

Another BTW, in the UK a purse would be one of these:
http://www.daisygreenmagazine.co.uk/...-purse-600.jpg

What Americans call a purse is called a handbag over here:
http://www.uk-replicahandbags.org.uk...s/48711/tv.jpg
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 10:22 AM

Why drag up a post from 1998?
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 11:42 AM

Travelers' checks are no longer a good idea. Too hard to cash. And hotel room safes are not safe. Too many employees past and present. Use the hotel safe if necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -