Reload this Page >

purchasing tickets from tiss.com?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 07:30 PM
Joyce

Has anyone used tiss.com? I had not heard of it before reading about it on this site. I found a good airfare from SF to Heathrow...

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 08:40 PM
Russ

There are a couple of different ticketing agencies used by TISS -- mine was USA International out of Houston. I had tremendous communication problems with them. Took forever to get my tickets, lots of lame excuses, no replies, was overcharged by $30. The only good thing was that 3 months later they finally sent me a check for the overcharge. They're not evil -- just noncommunicative, deceptive, and bumbling. <BR> <BR>Don't know Travel Secrets or others under the TISS banner.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 07:41 AM
Paul J

Hi Joyce; I used a TISS consolidator in California for tickets from Chicago to Milan few years ago. I had no problem with them. They did everything they said they would do. I think it depends on who you deal with and other circumstances. FYI, we just returned from Europe. This time I bought tickets online directly from United Airlines. They had the best prices this time. Don't overlook the possibility of visiting the websites of the airlines directly....Paul J

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 11:46 AM
Kristin

Agree with Russ above. I had lots of trouble with the Houston place. Including they didn't let me know that my afternoon flight had been cancelled and changed to a morning flight, so I lost a whole 24-hours of my trip, not to mention lots of agony! I complained to both tiss and to the Houston place and got nothing back from either. The place in San Francisco may be OK, I don't know.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 11:51 AM
George

Hi Joyce, I have usd tiss before, and they were not reliable. I suggest using a site like www.qixo.com to get good reliable cheap fares. I Found there link on this great travel site, check it out. <BR> <BR>http://www.europe2001.cjb.net

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 01:57 PM
Walter

Joyce: Have you tried a Travel Agent? Provided they don't charge a commission or fee, you can just walk-in and walk-out with your tickets in hand for probably the same price. Plus you'll have someone to go to "bat for you" if there's a problem. Last Nov I purchased my tickets ~2months early on BA for a Boston-London (via Heathrow)-Rome thru my TA. A few weeks before the flight BA calls my TA and said that *I* changed my flight and to re-issue my tickets. I believe it was for a Boston-Heathrow-*Gatwick*-Rome connection both ways!!! My TA called me to confirm and I said I hadn't changed my ticket thru BA, esp with that connection! The TA had to battle BA over the phone (multiple calls, holding, talking to supervisiors, etc) to get me back on my flights of which I had to take a later return flight which was no problem. For me if the price is around the same, I'll book thru a TA just to have someone in my corner. Below is a recent post of mine comparing the airlines price, tiss, and a TA. It's just an example of what I found 1 time and might not be the norm. HTH Regards, Walter <BR>Author: Walter ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 10/16/2000, 6:33 pm ET <BR>Message: 9 days ago I bought a open-jaw Boston-Milan..Rome-Milan-Boston on Alitalia for March. Now the price before and after my purchase on Alitalia's website and "tiss" just for a Boston-Milan R/T was $524US. I went down to my TA expecting to pay more for the open-jaw but it was the same price $524, so I paid nothing for the Rome-Milan leg. HTH Regards, Walter <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 03:39 PM
John

Joyce, for what it's worth, we've used TISS with no problems; I suspect the others are right about which agency TISS assigns you to. Also I suspect that relatively vanilla routings like SFO-LHR-SFO won't be where TISS has the best advantage. We used them once on an Amsterdam-Tel Aviv trip and they undercut the other services big time.

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 01:18 AM
nevado

Another unsatisfied tiss customer- out of the Houston office! They had two reservations for me, neither one valid with the airline. I ordered my tickets in February (for July) and didn't receive them until mid-June. (not to mention the many phone calls I made to straighten out the mess- they always said "we'll send them this week")!!!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 09:42 PM
Matt

back to the top for Migraine.