Reload this Page >

Sell me a city in central Europe!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 12:44 PM
sandy

Just doing initial planning for our vacation next year. We are definitely going to Prague (my husband really wants to go there; that part of the trip is not negotiable since I only have another year and a half to convince him he wants to go to Turkey). We have about 10 days, so I'd like to go to another city. Munich, Budapest and Vienna are all a reasonable train trip away, so I was looking for opinions on your favorite city of these three, or if you have other smaller favorites. I went to both Vienna and Budapest about 12 years ago, but don't remember that much about either (only in each place for a few days as a sullen teenager), but never to Munich. Max amount of time we'd want to be on a train is 6-7 hours. Main interests are ancient ruins, medieval architecture, hiking and drinking local brews! Any favorites?

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 12:59 PM
Sjoerd

Easy one: Krakow. Beautiful city ("little Prague"), not (yet) extremely touristy and definitely much nicer than Vienna and Munich. Budapest is also nice. Great day trips from Krakow to Zakopane (mountain hiking), Auschwitz/Birkenau and Wieliczka (sp?) salt mines.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 01:06 PM
Linda

It is in the opposite direction of Turkey, but a city that is just 4 1/2 hours north of Prague by train is Berlin. If you are talking the history of the 20th Century, then that is the place. From the 1936 Olympic Stadium to the Reichstag, from Brandenburg Gate to Potsdam, from Templehof of Berlin Airlift fame to the remaining wall, Berlin is incredible. The food and drink are excellent. The people are friendly and the mass transit great. One of the museums has an entire ancient ruin. There are parks within and out of the city to walk. Daytrips to Dresden/Meissen, Poland, Baltic seashore, etc. are there. Prague will have to handle the architecture part, as Berlin was bombed in WWII. Munich is very different from Vienna and Budapest and is fun.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 01:23 PM
Mitch

I need to agree with Sjoerd! Krakow, Poland was one of the highlights of my trip last summer, which included Prague as well as Munich. Prague was number 1 in my book, but Krakow was a very close second on this trip! We took both a day trip to Zakopane and Auschwitz while we were in Krakow. Just be sure to leave time for the wonderful city of Krakow! We took an overnight train to Prague from Krakow, so we were on the train for about 6-7 hours..., well worth the trouble of an overnight train, to wake up in Prague from Krakow! Have a fantastic trip where you go!

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 01:33 PM
john

Would recommend Vienna and Budapest to go with Prague. Interesting cities which should fit into your 10 days easily......

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 02:51 PM
Art

I would have to recomment Budapest, easily the most beautiful city in Europe. I spent 7 1/2 days there last year and could have spend a few more. I did take 1 day trip to Lake Balaton and there are several others that you could take. The history of Hungary and her people is incredible.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 03:01 PM
John

Ditto on Krakow. Insist on Auschwitz, too, despite local reluctance to "sell" tours of the camp.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 05:41 PM
xxx

The "triangle" of Prague / Vienna / Budapest is very do-able. And I think Budapest would merit a return since your initial visit --- they've made alot of changes since the Russians moved out & are attracting alot more travellers. <BR> <BR>I was in Budapest a couple months ago, and ran into alot of folks who'd also visited Krakow, Poland -- so that city too is seeing an increase in tourist traffic. All reviews on Krakow were positive.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 08:47 PM
Andy

Instead of another large city, go to beautiful Salzburg. <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 09:58 PM
Terry

We're going to Prague this summer. Any ideas of what to see and do? Thanks