Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre..can I swim in July???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 10:50 PM
Kimerley

We will be staying in Manarola for 7 nights in July. I have visions of being able to swim at some beach within the Cinque Terre. Fellow OZ travellers keep insiting that the water is too cold to swim in! Is this true or are they being pains because our water is warmer and they have been spoilt!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Eileen

I was in Cinque Terre in October. Visited Vernazza and Riomaggiore and didn't see any beaches. Coniglia is not on the water. Maybe Manarola or Monterrosa. Don't count on beautiful beaches in Cinque Terre.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Byrd

There is a pretty little beach in Monterosso, not sand but gravel and small pebbles. My husband John swam there in late October (1999) and says the water was "cool but tolerable."

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 08:40 AM
rlk

There's a nice beach at Monterosso. And I was there in late October (just a day trip to the CT). There were folks on the beach & a handful in the water. I didn't walk down to stick my hand in, so can't say what the water temp was like.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Liz

Kimbereley, we visited the Cinque in early August and the water was beautiful. Of course I am used to chilly water living on the west coast of Canada, but if I found it nice then it's probably very warm for most people. You can find small beaches or areas to swim in most of the towns, all you really need are a few well placed rocks for sunning and diving into the beautiful med. Have fun!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Heather

One more opinion ... I swam in the water at Monterosso in the first week of June and it was plenty warm (& I'm not comparing that to the freezing Lake Michigan water). While I cannot speak for swimming in Manarola, there is a small section of public beach in the cove in Monterosso as well as another closer to the train station. Also, there were swarms of 20-something backpackers swimming off the rocks in Riomaggiore.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 09:27 PM
adina

Hi- We stayed in Manarola in '96 in July and the swimming was wonderful. There is a small beach/cove with coral and it was hot outside and great in the water. You will definitely be able to swim there. <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 10:17 PM
Kimerley

thank you, thank you, thank you