Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice (Marco Polo) to S. Lucia station.. how long..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 10:44 PM
Kimerley

I am flying into Venice Marco Polo Airport from London and will arrive at 10:25 am. I then need to get myself and luggage to S. Lucia station in Venice. <BR>Looking at the www.bahn.hafas.de site I am unable to ascertain an exact time for my trip to Rome on the eurostaritalia on the 11 June.The site only goes up the the 9 June at the moment! <BR>Checking on other dates as an example a train does leave Venice for Rome at 12.28pm. <BR>What is the best way to reach the station from the airport? How long does it take? <BR>thanks in anticipation

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 04:44 AM
Paulo

The nicest approach to Venice from the airport is through the water: a water taxi if one can afford it, or the Alilaguna boat to San Marco otherwise.<BR><BR>In your case, though, a "normal" taxi to Piazzale Roma is your best call. If your flight is on time, you may just make it on time for the 12:28pm Eurostar. In case you're late, I think that the taxi's still the best bet. You may go directly to the train station, buy your train tickets, lock your luggage and go out for a short stroll in time to catch the 2:28pm train.<BR><BR>Paulo

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Paulo

Oops ... you asked how long? The taxi should take 15 minutes. Add some 10 minutes o get your stuff out from the car, over the bridge and into the train station ... I would allow 1/2 hour from taxi engine start to Sta. Lucia's ticket booth. To do the same with a water taxi I would allow an hour or so. <BR><BR>Paulo<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Steve

Hello Kimerley, <BR> <BR>I don't think you need to go to S. Lucia for the Rome train. <BR> <BR>Go instead to Mestre, - the 'mainland' station for Venice. S. Lucia is only useful if you are visiting Venice itself. <BR> <BR>Taxi would be the quickest option, bus the cheapest. Either way it's only 15-30 minutes...

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi, <BR> <BR>Steve has a good point. On my Eurostar trip from Venice/Florence (and heading on to Rome) the first stop was Mestre. I just got back a few days ago... <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Paulo

Yes ... but only if there's no risk loosing the train in Mestre. Though Piazzale Roma is 3 km farther (from the airport), the whole route is a divided highway. Depending on traffic, it may take quite longer to get to Mestre's train station than to Piazzale Roma. Under normal conditions, the driving time should be a shade less to the island. <BR><BR>Anyway, Kimerley, you should play it more or less by ear. The 12:28pm Eurostar from Sta. Lucia departs Mestre at 12:40pm. This gives you 12 precious extra minutes to catch your train. You'll have to make sure not to risk getting to Mestre too late ... having to spend almost 2 hours there waiting a train would be an inexcusable waste. If you have to, do the unfortunate waiting in Venice proper! Discuss the matter with the taxi driver and let him make the decision regarding where to take you if the available time is razor thin!<BR><BR>Also, from Piazzale Roma to the train station it's a 600mts stroll over the Scalzi bridge in the Grand Canal. If you're heavy on luggage this may be a pain ... and it's possibly better to take vaporetto #1/82/52 (from your left to right) to make the short trip from Piazzale Roma to the Ferrovia landing stage.<BR><BR>Paulo

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 10:31 PM
Kimerley

Thank you everyone for your help, fantastic