Search

Public Transport from Schiphol to Marriott Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Public Transport from Schiphol to Marriott Amsterdam

Hello,

I am looking for the best method of public transport from Schiphol to the Marriott Amsterdam (Stadhouderskade 12, 1054 ES). There are two adults, two 11 and under kids, and carry ons only. We arrive on a Sunday morning in June.

I know it would be easier to take a taxi, but if it saves 25E then it is better spent on food or activities. I have looked at the transport website, but as I think there are a couple of options, I would like to know which public route (bus, train, tram) is easiest. That way I can calculate how much it will cost ,and whether it is worth the extra effort. We managed from Heathrow into London on the Tube based on the route recommendations from several Fodorites. Please help with Amsterdam!

Thank you.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 07:18 AM

We took the train then a taxi. You could also do a tram from the station as the tram stops just outside of the hotel. Sorry I don't know the number.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 07:50 AM

We just did this 2 weeks ago. Follow the signs in Schiphol to the buses and cross over to where the bus stops are. Then you want the 197 bus - I think it leaves every 15 minutes. I believe we ended up being at bus stop B13 - check before you wait there long - there are signs indicating when the next bus is coming. You can use strippenkarts but we just paid the bus driver - I think it was 3E each - we could have saved a few coins by using strippenkarts but we didn't want to have to deal with that after just getting off a flight.

The bus then takes you to the Leidsplein - from which you can see the Marriott. There are a few stops - I think the trip took 20 minutes - no transferring though which was nice. The stop before the Leidsplein is the Museumplein (where the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum are). The bus will leave you just across the bridge in the Leidsplein area, turn around and walk over the bridge and you will walk smack into the Marriott - it couldn't be much closer.

I think this is very doable for your family and will save some money.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Strippenkaart's can quickly be bought at the newspaper kiosk (A V O?) next to the Schiphol train station ticket windows - right near the entrance to the trains down below - the buses will be outside. You will benefit from having a Strippenkaart (and buy the longest one available as you can share with others) later anyway. Then give the strippenkaart to the driver and he will stamp the appropriate strips for your party (and he will speak English)
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your answers. The journey planner on the Amsterdam public transit site had me taking a train and then a tram from centraal station. This sounds much better.

So, to make sure I have this right...

Buy two strippenkaarts (1 adult/1child pack of 15) at the kiosk near the trains. Follow the signs to the bus stop and take the 197 to Leidesplein and walk over the bridge to the Marriott. I calculate that to be about 5E if I buy the strippenkaart. Done deal, unless it is raining cats and dogs. That may cause me to reflect....

Thanks again.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM

KLM's hotel shuttle bus from the airport may serve the Marriot directly - in case of rain? Costs more but is also much quicker i think

KLM Shuttle Bus, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. Luchthaven Schiphol. The bus operates between the airport and hotels in Amsterdam City. ...
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/mayumi/watana...d/schibusd.htm

Amsterdam.info - Amsterdam Airport hotels, arrivals, departures, train
Amsterdam airport Schiphol(AMS), airport arrivals, departures, train to the city, ... The national airline, KLM, is based there and is the largest airline group in the world. ... Some hotels provide their own free airport shuttle bus, ...
www.amsterdam.info/airport/