Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam- best way to get from airport to Marriot??

Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

We have backpacks, so we don't mind buses, or whatever is cheapest and quickest. The Marriot is right by Vondelpark. Thanks!! Also, when is the best time to visit & get tickets for the Anne Frank Museum?
Lauren
Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:46 AM

I don't know where Marriott/Vondelpark is, but if it's near Centraal Train Station, then that's your answer. The trains from the airport run often, quickly and are the cheapest option. All the main tram/bus routes run right by the train station.

Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:50 AM

Never mind - it must be too early. I was thinking of a different park. Sorry.

Yes, the train and tram combo or a hotel shuttle that stops near the Marriott.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:51 AM

E-mail the hotel and ask them the best way. I'm sure they are used to giving directions. I always do that and so far (fingers crossed), no one has refused me!
Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:52 AM

A taxi will be about 30-35 Euro.

The Conexxion bus goes either there or to a hotel right next to it - go outside the terminal and ask the driver if he goes by/near the Marriott (there are 2 routes, different hotels on each). The bus is around 12-13 Euro one-way.

The train is about 3.5 Euro, takes 20 minutes or so. Buy your ticket in the train station that is located just beyond the Arrivals hall. If you think you're going to use the trams, buy a 'strippenkaart' there as well. The trains are down one level -look at the sign over the escalator before going down to make sure you're on the right track.

Once you get to Centraal, go out the station - immediately across the street are the trams; #1,2,5 go to Leidseplein - from there it's about a 2-minute walk. Or, with the station behind you, look to your right and go to the front of the taxi rank - a taxi will be about 9-11 Euro.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:58 AM
aggiemom

We were in Amsterdam last month and it was suggested by some kind soul on this board to see Anne Frank House late in the day. I believe it closes at 7:30 PM and at that time there are no lines and few people. (We actually never found the place, but that is a whole other story!!)

Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:25 AM

Earlier this month, we took the train to Centraal Station which was very easy - the station is right in the airport and you just get a ticket before you descend to the platform from the machine (they have an English option). The ticket was €3.40 I think. The trains are frequent (one was waiting for us) and quick (15 minutes or so).

We then bought a Strippenkaart at the newsagents just as you come out of the station and got Tram 1,2, or 5 to the Leidseplein stop. You can see the Marriott from there, a couple of hundred yards away.

We had checked in at the hotel less than an hour from the plane landing in Amsterdam. But we only had carry-on luggage so there was no waiting for that.

I was worried about the queues for the Anne Frank House based on other stories I'd heard. I originally thought of going early one evening but friends boycotted that idea. In the end, we turned up at about 1pm. There was a very small queue but less than 10 minutes to get in. Maybe that was between those people choosing it as their morning activity and those choosing it as their afternoon activity and most were at lunch or something.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:57 AM

If you do the train number, do NOT, under any circumstances leave those backpacks or any other luggage near the train doors,. and especially not unattended.

When, and sometimes if, your train stops at the Sloterdijk station, people sometimes reach in and grab unobserved/unattended items left on the floor near the doors and make a run for it. Doesn't happen often but when it does you can absolutely kiss the piece good-bye.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM

I used the Connexxion bus service. It was 10 euro 1-way or 18 euro round-trip (a couple years ago). It goes from the airport and makes a loop of many of the hotels.

You can also go by train, then transfer to a tram or taxi. but the Connexxion service really takes the stress out, especially if you're coming in off a long plane ride.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:13 PM

If you decide to do the train/tram combo, consider the train from Schiphol to Zuid/WTC station instead of Centraal. It's short and cheap(2.30 euro for the train), Zuid/WTC is much less crowded/frantic than Centraal, and the #5 tram to Leidseplein will put you within about a minute walk of the Marriott.
The Connexxion bus does stop at the Marriott; we saw it almost every day (we were just down the street from the Marriott) earlier this week.