Psarou Beach in Mykonos

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Psarou Beach in Mykonos

You've persuaded me to spend part of my cruise stop in Mykonos at Psarou beach. Are there places to rent lounge chairs and umbrella? Also, why is it being suggested that I have the cruise director arrange this? Can't I just take a taxi to the beach?
Thanks!
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Songdoc-
Here is the deal on Psarou beach:
Yes, there are lounge chairs, beach towels, and umbrellas attached to tables on the beach at Psarou that you rent for the day. The price of the rental is very inexpensive as well. The hot spot to sit is in front of the N'ammos Restaurant and Lounge-Bar Restaurant.
You will see that they have bright orange towel printed with Verve Cliquot on them. Their are limited chairs, so i advise to get to the beach early and secure your chairs. As a second choice to sit (not a bad second choice) there are chairs, (with blue towels)that is a separate lounge chair rental place, which is next to the N'ammos restaurant.
The bar/lounge takes drink orders at your lounge chair if you rent chairs from that location, where as the beach location (blue towel place) does not
h ve service.
Their is a little restaurant that does serve food that is next to N'ammos, but you have to either go up to pick up the food yourself at the counter, or you can sit inside instead for table service.
When I was there last July, it was a very "cool scene" at that beach, with many very fashionable Athenians. Lounge Music(Buddah Bar type) was being played, and their were many interesting people. Just a short walk was the beach at Mykonos Blu.
As far as the taxi is concerned, I would think that you probably may find a taxi available to the beach. We had no problem finding taxis, but we weren't on a cruise and don't know the exact situation with where you will be docked.
You should have a lovely day at the beach, and perhaps a great lunch with super food at N'ammos.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

TrendGrirl - Thanks SO much. That's just what I needed to know!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:46 AM

When you return from your wonderful trip, please give me the 2004 summer update on Psarou Beach. I am curious if it is still as upscale and fun as last year. If you walk down to Mykonos Blu- along the beach, climb up the stairs to the pool area, it is so beautiful to see and enjoy the view from their balcony.
The good thing about Psarou is there are really not children and families there to deal with. The Aegean was so inviting to lounge by.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. I'm not leaving for twenty-eight more days (but who's counting?)!!! I'll be sure to post details upon my return. This site has been a huge help.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 09:39 PM

Back from Mykonos, I confirm that Psarou is the hottest beach of this season!
As August is a super high season ,and lots of pre or post Olympics Officials ,Vips will be offered -by their hosts-day trips to Mykonos I believe that booking is essential for N'ammos as for taxis as well...ther are only 31 taxis serving the island.....
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 06:02 AM

mzani-
good to hear the sunmmer of 2004 feedback on Psarou, and glad to hear it is still "happening."

You are probably right about the Olympics throwing a curve to the taxi situation.

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 02:10 PM

I have not yet managed to do my trip report for our honeymoon (just got back last week), but I can also confirm that Psarou, and especially Nammos, is THE place to be. It was really a fastastic, fun, chic place to hang out on the beach. We stayed at Mykonos Blu, but did not use their beach. Instead, we walked down to Nammos (only 5 minutes down the beach and a nice stroll from the hotel beach) and rented chairs and had lunch there on two of our three days on Mykonos. The food and atmosphere was wonderful (great salads and seafood and not even very expensive), but the music really made it a "scene." So fun and upbeat and very euro-lounge (in a good way). Also, I have to mention the beach attendants. They were all gorgeous- perfect tans, perfect bodies. The women (who brought drinks to the lounge chairs) wore matching white bikinis and the men (who rented the chairs) wore white linen pants rolled up and nothing else. Such a classic Greek island fantasy scene. It was our favorite thing about Mykonos, and we preferred the daytime scene at Nammos to the nightlife in town (in part because it was so hard to get a taxi back to our hotel each night- we would wait in a huge line with tons of other tourists for 30 minutes or more in the wind). The winds were really rather a problem when we were there, but this beach is somewhat shielded. We also went to Paradise Beach one day, just to check it out, but only stayed an hour and returned to Psarou (not only for Nammos but also because of the gale force winds at Paradise). We live in Panama City Beach in Florida, and Paradise reminded us of the worst kind cheesy beach club (of which we have many at home).

A word about getting to Psarou- you may want to just ask a taxi to take you to the Mykonos Blu hotel. You can walk through the hotel and down the steps to Psarou beach, then it is a 5 minute stroll down to N'ammos. Just a suggestion, and it would give you a chance to check out the hotel, which is also lovely. Hope that helps.
Euro
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 11:47 AM

I can also confirm that Psarou beach and Nammos are still theee place to be during the day (and night) on Mykonos. We stayed at the Mykonos Blu for our honeymoon and walked down to Nammos daily to sit at their beach. It reminds me of San Tropez. Very unlike Paradise Beach, which as another post claimed...is Cheesy! I've been to Mykonos 5 times over the past 4 years and think Psarou Beach is far superior than any other spot on the island. We went to Nammos 3 times for dinner that week. The crowd on a Friday and Saturday night is the best on the island. The music is pumping and the crowd is full of hip and beautiful Athenians. I used to always hang out at Interni in town, but that place has seen its day. Their crowd definitely shifted to Nammos.

I can't wait to go back next summer!!!