Provence/South of France

Old May 26th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Provence/South of France

My husband and I are planning a first trip to south of France-- we've been to Paris, so we will not include it.

We would travel for approximately 2 weeks, during which time we'd like to find 3-5 (or more, if necessary) --places to stay, from which we could also do day trips. We plan to rent a car (or buy back option) and will go mid-late August.

I have read a lot about the south a France and the more I read the more confused I get about where to stay. Some thoughts, in random order:

Nice
Avignon
Cassis
Arles
Montpellier
Aix-en-Provence

Ideally, we would fly into Nice, as it is very reasonable from Montreal (where we live) and from Nice make our way and see as much as possible.

Any suggestions for an itinerary would be helpful. Since we love to travel and may not get back to the region for a long time, it would be great to have a 'best of' experience, however, we do not necessarily have to stay in the largest or most populated/tourist places.

Thank you
Old May 26th, 2015, 10:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
St Remy is a place to station yourself near to the Perche villages, the Camargue and Arles.
Old May 26th, 2015, 11:04 AM

Nice and the whole area around it was complete gridlock last time I was there in August and suspect it is no better now than several years ago - very frustrating driving - so maybe stay car-less for a few days in Nice then pick up your car and motor thru the hinterlands of Provence - via the Gorges du Verdon (western Europe's deepest and longest canyon - thrilling roads go all too near its edge at places for some!) are rather than taking the very busy coastal main roads - much much more scenic

all the way to Aix-en-Provence and onto Avignon, where I would base for several days - not necessarily in Avignon but a smaller town like the favorite of many St-Remy-de-Provence.

So so many nice easy day trips here - Les Baux, Avignon, Arles, the Pont du Gard, Uzes, the Camargue just to start.

Return car at Avignon TGV station perhaps and take bullet train back to Nice if flying out of there.

From Nice you can take the famous Route Napoleon, a road made for military purposes from Grasse up to the hinterlands of Provence at Digne-les-Bains, a thermal resort, and onto the west from there.

http://www.ultimatedrives.net/top-10...oute_ID=100009
Old May 26th, 2015, 02:04 PM
TC

We did this trip a few years ago. We flew into Marseille. From there we took a car and drove to Cassis. Such a beautiful seaside town. We stayed in a B&B in Cassis, but there are many small and charming hotels.

We moved on to Gordes - one of the prettiest villages perches in all of Provence. We stayed in the amazing Mas de la Beaum. From there it was easy to tour the beautiful Abbey de Senanque surrounded by lavendar fields and the "bories" - ancient stone dwellings.

http://www.labeaume.com/page1anglais.html

We moved on to the beautiful Vaison-la-Romaine; home to Patricia Wells and her amazing Provencial cooking. There is an old city and a new city. We stayed in the old city in a very romantic B&B, L'Veche. The photos don't do justice to this stellar little hotel or its owners. Absolutely charming. We had the big room with a stairway that leads to the rooftop. We sat with wine and watched the stars 'til late at night.

http://eveche.free.fr/uk_maison-hotels-rooms.htm

Then on to Avignon, where we stayed in a wonderful private home that looked over the city rooftops. I don't think she rents it any longer as I haven't been able to find the web site for quite a while. We visited the Palais des Papes and the city market. We made a day trip into the Camargue.

Along the way we visited L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (market), Aix, Orange (Roman ruins), St. Remy, Chateauneuf-du-Pape (winery). They are all nestled close together in the Vaucluse.

We dined wonderfully in all the places with help from our B&B hosts. It was quite an easy drive. We stayed two nights in each place and really enjoyed a leisurely pace.

This is one of my very favorite trips.
Old May 27th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your very helpful replies.
Old May 27th, 2015, 12:29 PM

Hi Carleen, DH and I based in Aix and loved it. If you want, please click on my name to see my trip report, "Provence Sandwich" which I topped FYI. Provence was sandwiched between Paris hence the title.

We also based in Montpellier with day trips to Arles and Avignon and then on to Nice with a good van tour to Cannes, Monte Carlo, St. Paul de Vence, Eze and Cagnes-sur-Mer. I never did a TR for that trip.

DH and I were having physical problems so the van tours were to address climbing probems!

Have a super time.