Provence recommendations

Search

Provence recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Provence recommendations

I'm new on the Fodor's community boards and hope to get some wisdom. I'll be working in Brussels one week in April and the following taking a train from Brussels to Avignon with my husband. We have a nice week in Provence anticipating using Avignon as a base to train trip to places like Aix-en-Provence, Nimes, St. Remey, etc. I want to see the geography, Roman ruins, including a bull fight, markets, etc. Any recommendations on not to miss sites? Any top notch recommendations on hotels/B&Bs where we can be in the middle of things, convenience to train travel and places that will be easy to meet with others?

Looking forward to reading your advise.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 05:09 PM

To save a lot of time and add flexibility you'll want a car in Provence. There will be plenty of options at the train station but you should book in advance. Hertz, Avis and autoeurope provide plenty of options.

There are "bull games" in Arles, although you may be early for them. But the town is worth a half-day visit, especially if you are a van Gogh fan.

The Pont du Gard aqueduct is awe-inspiring and easy to reach. It's easily combined with a stop at Nimes.

Going into the Luberon there are multiple villages to choose from. Roussillon is beautiful if a bit like a Disney set. If the schedule allows, Vaison la Romaine makes an interesting stop, with ruins, an old section and new. Driving there from the south will take you through stunning rock outcroppings and you'll get a peek at Mont Ventoux.

Nearly all villages have markets but the days vary. It's Thursday in Orange, which also has what is regarded as the best-preserved Roman theater (not amphitheater; Arles and Nimes have those). Last trip we brought back some beautiful linen material that became distinctive dining room curtains.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 07:21 PM

Definitely you will want a car. We got a great deal on Expedia last summer. A nav system is a HUGE assist--ours helped us out on quite a few jaunts, and we've been before! I'd add Les Baux de Provence to the list if you've not been. We have stayed in nearby Cabro d'Or and enjoyed it. Near St. Remy is Glanum, an amazingly well-preserved Roman site. I am not fond of Avignon, a half day spent there is plenty, imho. I would probably use Aix as a base if you want to be in a bigger hub. We love Bonnieux and Lourmarin. The market in Isle-Sur-la-Sorgue is well-worth the trip. Enjoy!
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 09:09 PM

Another advocate for a car. We've vacationed for 16 weeks in Provence. E-mail me at [email protected] if you would like my 27 page itinerary for visiting Provence & the Cote d'Azur. I've sent it to over 1,000 people on Fodors.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 01:00 AM

1) Rent a car at the TGV station in Avignon.

2) The not-to-miss destinations are:
- Avignon (Papal Palace, the bridge, old town)
- Nimes (best Roman ruins)
- Arles (second best Roman ruins)
- Les Alpilles (scenic mountain chain with Les Antiques, Glanum and Les Baux - more Roman ruins and a ruined medieval village)
- Pont du Gard (spectacular Roman aquaeduct)

If you have more time, these are other worthy destinations:
- the Camargue (horse-riding through the marshes)
- Aigues-Mortes (medieval city)
- Gordes (stone huts - Bories, Senanque Abbey, Vasarely Museum, Vaucluse springs)
- Mont Ventoux
- Orange (more Roman ruins)

3) Avignon will make a good base if you prefer to stay in a city (for restaurants, nightlife, shopping etc.). If you prefer more small-town feeling, then Arles or St. Remy would be my choices. If you prefer to stay on the countryside, search for luxury hotels in Les Baux. Travelwise, everything within the triangle Avignon-Nimes-Arles/Les Baux would be convenient.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 03:52 AM

Oh, where to begin? For ideas in visual form, see our phototravelogue of 10 days in Provence last September at http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...08%3A540606391
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 10:00 AM

StuDudley's initerary made for a wonderful trip through Provence for my husband and I a few summers ago. I highly recomend getting a hold of it. Great suggestions and routes and time savers.

Also highly recommend Les Baux (La Riboto de Taven is an amazing hotel and restaurant at the base of the town - we had a room carved out of the stone cliffs), Isle-Sur-la-Sorgue (for the antiques market - expensive but fun), Aix (larger city but beautiful), St Remy (small and charming), Gordes (spectacular to see it overlooking the valley below).
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Another vote for a car and La Riboto de Taven
Visit Glanum and Les Antiques for ruins, just outside of St Remy.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Seconding the GPS. Last time we rented it was expensive, but we were going one way Perpignan to Paris which may have added to the price. So I bought a Europe chip for my Navigon and took the whole thing with us. Worked great, cost $40 and I will take it back again this year ... and next.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Try to get to St. Remy on market day, which I believe is Wednesday (please, someone correct me if that's wrong).

Personally, we loved Aix-en-Provence and didn't care for Avignon very much but I know others feel differently.

Yes, get a car.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 08:42 PM

>>Try to get to St. Remy on market day, which I believe is Wednesday (please, someone correct me if that's wrong).>>

Nope - you are correct. However, try to visit St Remy on a non market day (or after 3pm on market day) when you can see the town without the distractions of the market.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 08:56 PM

Sue,

Sounds like you're trying to do too much. The best way to see France is on foot. Take a walking holiday. If you 'go local' they'll collect you from Avignon and you'll see the Pont du Gard and Nimes.

Try one of these - i've booked with both before and been very happy.

Walking-Languedoc.com

or

google The Enlightened Traveller.

Salut et bonne vacances,

NottinghamMilli
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 08:59 PM

Oh, and I forgot another option for the PDG - try:

walking-holidays-france.com

and their tour called

Walks in Provence: Pont du Gard

Salut!