Provence in August - Question?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly will be open on Sunday, 8/13, Monday, 8/14 and Tuesday, 8/15(Holiday) and Wednesday, 8/16 in the Provence area? I've read Stu's trip report (thanks Stu!!) as well as tons of other info .. it doesn't seem like much on Sunday and Monday is open .. and I then get hit with the Holiday on Tuesday. Could I have picked a better 4 days(sarcasim) to be in Provence???

We were planning on visiting St. Remy, Les Baux, Luberon area and possibly Cassis. My sister wants to see the water.

Any insight on Cassis or something to do 'water related'?

Is anything going to be open?

With having only 3.5 days in Provence ... am I missing seeing something other than St. Remy, Luberon area, Les Baux and possibly Cassis? It's our (my sister and I) 1st time to Provence so we are probably looking for the 'introduction' to Provence as opposed to the "I'm an old hat at it" type sightseeing. Shopping is a must!
Thanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 08:18 AM

At Cassis you could take the boat trip out to and around the calanques (fjords)--beautiful.

Most tourist attractions will be open on the week-end and Monday, as that's where people tend to go on holidays. I think you'll find that just driving around and enjoying the little villages and the scenery will work very nicely. The shopping may be a problem, however, although I suspect that at least some of the stores in St-Rémy will be open on at least one of the days you'll be there, and there are some good shops at Les Baux.

With 3.5 days in Provence I don't think you'll have time for much more than you mention.

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Because it's the height of the tourist season, much will be open on Sunday and Monday... even Tuesday morning, even if it is a holiday (Assumption). There are also village "fetes" going on because of the holiday, so this area (I live near St Remy) will be bustling with all kinds of things going on late into the evenings.

There's plenty of shopping in St Remy, Arles and even Les Baux... as well as the Luberon.

Patricia
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Underhill! Is their a site or book I could get that would give me the information on Cassis and the boat trip?

Patricia, I'm happy to hear many places will be open. Is the Luberon area worth a drive or should we stick to St. Remy, Les Baux and Cassis? I was thinking of taking one of Stu's driving routes .. we would love to see some lavendar fields (if there are any remaining).

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Here's a link (in French only; sorry):

http://www.answeb.net/gacm/

It appears as though the motorboat trips take about 4 hours; the 2005 price was 25 Euros.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Underhill! Hopefully I can navigate around enough to figure it out.