Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PHOTOGRAPHY ALLOWED AT HARRODS , BRITISH MUSEUM ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 03:19 AM
sv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is photography allowed inside the Harrods Store? Also at the British Museum/ Natural History Museum?
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 03:26 AM

Photography is allowed inside the British Museum. I do not know about Harrod's.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 03:44 AM
sv
Original Poster

Also, is it allowed inside other landmarks like West Abbey, Tower of London etc?
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 03:52 AM

I took pictures and videos in Harrod's food hall, toys department and other parts with no problem (I asked an employee before). The food hall is always great every time I go back there.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:04 AM

check the museum websites for the most accurate information on their policies. all of their websites will tell you in a page usually called "visiting" or something like that.

you can take photos in the beautiful new covered courtyard of the british museum.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:09 AM

The only place we went where I remember a strict no photography policy in effect was inside Buckingham Palace and the enclosed grounds.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 05:17 AM

There are signs posted at harrods prohibiting photography
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 05:44 AM

The Westminster Abbey site www.westminster-abbey.org says:

Photography and filming (pictures and/or sound) of any kind is not allowed in any part of the Abbey at any time. As a visitor, you are welcome to take pictures in the Cloisters and College Garden for personal use only.

The only part of the Tower I recall that you can't take pictures is the Jewel House.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 05:53 AM
sv
Original Poster

Photography inside Harrods - I remember seeing some pictures posted on the web by a tourist of Harrods; wonder how he did that if photography is prohibited?
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:21 AM

>>>>
wonder how he did that if photography is prohibited?
>>>>

i don't know about harrods but most museums seem powerless these days in enforcing photography bans. everyone has a camera phone or a tiny digital camera. very few people would waste film doing snapshots in a museum except for very famous pieces (which are usually guarded more effectively). with digital photography everyone has their cameras out in the museums as i have noticed....staff seems less willing to say anything and when they do it is just a reminder that there is no photography.

harrods is a high profile place with terror scares in the past. i am not surprised that there are people who have taken photos in there but i am surprised at the post that said they were given permission and casually took photos unchallenged.

most unimportant UK shopping centres don't even allow photos due to terror scares (goes back decades with the IRA).
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
How did they do that? They were classless and ignored the signs. Or - they were old photos. Or - they were given special permission (not likely except for professionals) Photograpghy was allowed in Harrods many years ago but hasn't been allowed for ages.

Westminster Abbey used to allow special entrance on Wed evenings for photography - but they have curtailed the practice. No pictures allowed

St Pauls used to allow photography but stopped about 4 or 5 years ago.

The British Museum, V&A, Natural History, Museum of London and most other museums allow photography. But pay attention - in some galleries w/i a museum flash is not allowed, or photos are banned altogether. For instance you can take pictures in the V&A but not of the Raphael cartoons or in the jewelry gallery.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:07 AM

I saw no signs when I was taking photos in Harrod's two years ago.

The only places in London where I was not permitted to take pictures were some of the churches.

The most common rule is no flash photography or tripods.

Keith
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:09 AM

There are signs all through the food halls (where most folks want to take pictures)
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:10 AM

meant to add - the only place they allow photography is at the Dodi/Diana memorial.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:12 AM

I know there is no photography at St. Paul's Cathedral, or at the Tower when viewing the crown jewels. Of course, I have film of it -- just the tops of the sceptres and such -- cuz no one can tell if my camera is on or not from the front. I just rested it on my bag and it took film while we rolled on by
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 10:01 AM

In 1996, Harrods would not let us come inside the store with our backpacks.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Many museums won;t allow backpacks or any type of large bag (you can usually check it) - and guards hand examine everything - even small purses.

And some museums that have small objects won;t even allow purses (have lockers outside to store them) so it's better to have clothes with a pocket so you can at least carry your wallet.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM

to clarify the last comment (and there are hundreds of museums in london so it's hard to generalise) the major museums don't stop you from entering with a normal sized bag nor is it likely you will be searched.

of course these things can change depending on the threats but this winter i visited just about every major museum (some several times) and never even had to open my bag for a visual check. i always carry a bag that is at least the size of a large messenger bag.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:46 AM

No photography allowed in the National Gallery either.