Provence and Van Gogh

Search

Provence and Van Gogh

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Provence and Van Gogh

I'm trying to figure out the best time to go to Provence in order to see both the sunflowers and irises in bloom. Basically, the ideal time to see the landscapes that Van Gogh replicated. He apparently painted his Iris paintings in May/June and the Sunflowers in August. Is there an overlap?
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 10:42 PM

I don't think there is an overlap of blooming -- irises are mid-spring/late-spring and sunflowers are mid-summer/late-summer.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 08:16 AM

I hope this link helps. It seems to be a tour but does address blooming times in Provence:

http://www.europaphotogenica.com/SummerInProvence.htm

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM

No way you can hit them both - iris are spring / early bloomers, sun flowers are summer and harvested in the fall. Maybe the sunflowers and lavendar overlap. You will just have to go twice or take a very long trip!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Arles has a spot on the river where they show where Van Gogh was standing when he painted a picture and they show the picture there. It is very neat to see the scene from then and today. Not too much different!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM

> It is very neat to see the scene from then and today. <

In and around St-Rémy there are a couple dozen locations where his painting from that actual spot is displayed.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:40 PM

I think I can help! We went in mid- July, and while the sunflowers are later and the iris finished it didn't matter (although we drove past a huge field of sunflowers somewhere around the Dordogne on the trip). We stayed in Arles and sprinkled around the city are metal canvases where he drew his inspiration- Starry Night over the Rhone (not the "famous" Starry Night), the cafe, the garden of the hospital...even outside the arena. So you don't need either type of flower for that! You enter through the same gates as he did.

Then we also went to St. Remy. A must for you! The lavender in the garden, his view from the cloister bedroom, was the first I saw in Provence and very moving. As well, the olive trees and wheat were everywhere on the walk you can take from town (following his footsteps) and I learned a great deal. He was VERY into wheat!!!! The intensity of the light and the heat helped me greatly understand how he must have felt coming from the drab north and the flurry of creativity that resulted. I learned so very much- so you can worry less about the flowers, now, I hope!!!