Reload this Page >

provence & paris-

Search

provence & paris-

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:03 AM
lorraine

provence & paris-

My husband and I are planning a trip to Paris and Provence and are trying to decide whether to do the Paris part first or the Provence part first. We had originally planned to fly into Paris, stay for 6 nights, take a train to Avignon and rent a car from there. But someone has suggested that we go to Provence first and then go North. We have been to Paris once before 6 years ago, so we are somewhat familiar. Also, trying to decide between flying in/out of either Nice or Marseille. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Christina

I can't think of any reason it makes any difference at all, except for reasons personal to you. For example, if there were some special event in either place you wanted to go to. Other than that, I think it's just your feelings about mood, energy, etc. I plan Paris at the end of the trip because I know the city so well that it is not in any way arduous or taxing for me, so it's a relaxing way to end a trip -- I reserve the new places (or places I need to rent a car or figure things out or have a more exhaustive itinerary for the beginning of the trip) to make sure I don't run out of steam, as it were. That is presuming there are no logistical or calendar reasons for wanting one first.<BR><BR>I've flown in/out of both Nice and Marseille, they are both easy small airports, so it depends more on what flights and fares you can get and your personal itinerary, as to which you choose. However, because you want to rent a car in Provence, that might be a little reason to go to Paris first if you think you might be too jet-lagged or not have energy after the long flight for dealing with renting a car and driving in a strange country to wherever you want to stay. If you can't decide at all, I would suggest go to Paris first because of that.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Sherri

I would go to Paris first do all your sight seeing walk around the city; and then go to Provance and just chill; you mighr give yourself more time in that region sice you've already been to Paris.<BR>If you decide to go the Nice be sure to take a day trip to the charming town of Saint Paul de Vance; about a 15 minute drive from Nice.Be sure to have lunch at L' Combe d' Or (reservations are a must)it's a bit pricey; but worth it.When you make your reservations be sure to ask to sit on the patio under the fig trees.They have a famous small art collection that's woth it alone; and the town is a wounderful 4 hour day trip.<BR>Also you might check into flying to Avignon I did this same trip 2 years ago and it was only about $45 more to fly vs the train I know it sounds rediculous; but it's true. Then you could just rent your car at the Avignon airport; and be on your way.<BR>I also love the little town of L'- isle- sur-la- Sourge about a 20 minute drive outside of Avignon; go on a Sunday to the amazing flea market; there are also many antique dealers.<BR>If you want more info. on Provence or the Riveria email me directly.<BR>Viva La France

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:21 AM
John Burkus

I agree that it probably does not matter which route you take. I have found though that after a long overnight flight the sooner we stop travelling the better. We have stayed at CDG one night on arriving and then flown to Nice or took the TGV to Avignon where we picked up a car.<BR>If you are interested in more info on Provence check out the postings and archives on a Yahoo Group that I moderate at:<BR>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/provence<BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Andre

Lorraine,<BR><BR>I would also advise you to start in Paris since you plan to rent a car in the Provence (which I think is essential if you plan to do some touring BTW).<BR>However, I wouldn't fly to Nice OR Marseille, rather take a TGV train to Avignon as you mention. On the way back, there are trains straight to CDG although I don't know how early your flight leaves.<BR><BR>Train schedules and reservations at:<BR>www.sncf.com<BR><BR>Andre

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:52 AM
pam

Hi Lorraine.<BR>Of course it's a purely personal decision but we chose to go to Paris first as we wanted to relax and "chill out" later in our trip. This turned out very well for my family even though we were quite active in Provence, the entire region is entirely different from Paris and was much more relaxing for us. It was also terrific flying home from Nice and much less of a hassle than CDG. Either way, how can you go wrong? Have a wonderful trip.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Melissa

Hi, I too am planning to go to Paris and then Provence. I thought I would stay in Avignon and take day trips to St.Remy & Arles but I don't think I want to rent a car. Is it feasible to do this by train? Does anybody have any suggestions on where to stay that is reasonably inexpensive?

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 03:55 PM
Linda

Without a car, how can we get from Nice to St.Paul de Vence?? Is there a bus or train?

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 04:32 PM
Mary

I haven't been to Nice yet, but have been looking up information for a future trip. There seem to be frequent and easy trains all along the Cote D'Azur from Nice, and definitely to St. Paul de Vence. And buses too, from what I remember reading. I won't have a car, so I've checked this carefully. Good luck!