travel from paris to south of france

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be leaving Paris and thinking about taking a train to provence for 4 days. I have looked at marsielle, montepelliar and cassis( maybe spelled wrong) How would you so this? Get a car in Provence or train or taxi
Which would you leave out if you had to????
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:51 AM

the classic Provence area for tourists IME is in and around Avignon/Arles - so much to see and do here - only a few hours by TGV train from Paris - base in lovely Avignon or Arles and day trip to such gems as Les Baux, the Pont-du-Gard, Nimes and many more - public transporation can do it all.
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:53 AM

If it's your first trip to Provence, I'd leave out all of those and just take the TGV to Avignon, rent a car, and explore the Bouches-du-Rhône. To get the best train fares, plan three months ahead of your travel dates, fo to www.sncf.com, and buy PREM fares (they're deeply discounted but nonexchangeable and nonrefundable).
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:16 AM

I would also visit the Vaucluse - lavender fields (July), the Luberon hill villages, pretty countryside, Mt Ventoux, Vaison, Cote du Rhone wineries & villages.

If you are spending time in Paris, I would spend all of my Provence days visiting the countryside, cute hilltop villages, Pont du Gard, Uzes, - stuff you don't find in Paris. I would skip Avignon, Arles, Nimes, & Aix with just 4 nights/3 1/2 days.

Rent a car - I disagree with PalenQ that you can "do it all" in 3 1/2 days by public transportation - maybe the large cities but not the countryside, Luberon, hilltop villages, etc.

Stu Dudley
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:50 AM

You can do "something" but far from all by public transportation, and have a far more enjoyable time renting a car and nosing around.
And not the first towns you mentioned.
How long will you be in Paris? and where else?
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Paris 4 days, Provence, really want to see cassis the old fishing village, then barcalona, madrid, flying out of there.
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:34 AM

Cassis may have been an old fishing village a long time ago - but it isn't today. IMO, it is about a 1 1/2 hr visit - unless you have lunch there and/or take one of the Cadeques boat trips. On our first 3 trips to Cassis, we didn't think it was that great compared to other places in the region. We enjoyed it a lot more on our fourth trip when we stayed overnight & took the boat trip early in the am. Parking is difficult.

Stu Dudley