Reload this Page >

To Provence from Paris - itinerary help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Judy

We`ll be based in Paris but want to drive to Provence for about 3 or 4 days likely to Avignon, Arles, St.Remy. Would it be feasible to also go to Nice and the coast area in this amount of time. On Maporama it says it`s 6 and a half hours from Paris to Avignon. Thanks so much for any help.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:01 AM
StCirq

With the TGV taking less than three hours from Paris to Avignon, I would forget driving. Just pick up a car at the TGV station in Avignon. Since there is so much to see in the Avignon-Arles-St-Rémy area, I personally wouldn't bother going to the coast, but it IS feasible.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:01 AM
ppp

Six, seven hours is right, if there are no accidents or trafic jams. <BR>Unless you have specific reasons to make this a car trip, I would suggest taking the TGV to Avignon, which takes only 2:38 hrs, and rent a car there.<BR>Nice is another 2 1/2 hours drive from Avignon. Feasible, yes. But having only 3 or 4 days in total, and with enough to see/do in Provence, I would not add it on. But you can make a day trip to the coast (Cassis, Saintes Maries or Aigues Mortes), in case you want to see the Mediterranean.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:18 AM
nancy

The car hire place is right at the station in Avignon and is pretty efficient with a big range of cars. That'll save you a stack of time and give you more opportunities to explore Provence. The Autoroute de Soleil isn't that great so the 6 hours drive from paris is pretty boring...and the tolls aren't cheap!<BR>I don't think it's worth heading for the coast when you have such a short space of time and Provence is so amazing. But if anything- maybe head to Cassis- about 2 hours south from Avignon and hop on a ferry and take a look at the Calanques- that is pretty spectacular and different from Provence.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:27 AM
lafrancaise

I would recommend train travel, specifically the TGV Mediterranee from Paris to Provence area (Avignon) in under 4 hours. Once in Provence, I would definitely split up your regions (Provence area) as Avignon, Arles, St. Remy de Provence take up a good 2, if not 3 days. It is about another 2 1/2 hours southward to Nice and the coastal area. There is so much to see and do in each area that it would be a shame to cram it all in and rush around.