Edinburgh or London

Oct 7th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Kathryn

Edinburgh or London

I travel to the UK often (at least twice a year) to visit family and friends, but have never been to Edinburgh and have spent very limited time in London. On my next trip, I'd like to spend 3 days (2 nights) in one of these two cities. I'll get to the other one eventually, but just wanted some input.

I'll be traveling in late August/early September, and will be in Newcastle at some point, which is why Edinburgh appealed to me. In case it matters, we are a couple in our early 30s, and money isn't a really an object.

Oct 7th, 2002, 11:59 AM
bettyk

With your limited timeframe, I would choose Edinburgh. You can see all the major sights in a couple of days. I really think you would need much more time to do London properly.

Oct 7th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Dave

That's Festival/Tatoo time in Edinburgh. You'll need to plan WELL in advance to find lodging.

Oct 7th, 2002, 03:51 PM
janis

If it is in early septembe - Edinburgh for sure. the weather is generally good and you can see most of it in a few days.

BUT if you will be there in August it will be tough. Because of the Festivals and tatoo Edinburgh gets VERY crowded and most B&Bs and hotels require a three or (more commonly) 4 night minimum. And you woul dneed to book months ahead of time.

So if you can arrange your dates to push your free days into early September, go to Edinburgh. If not, London might be a better choice. But of course you will barely scratch the surface in London.

Oct 8th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Kathryn

Ah, thanks! Didn't even think about the Festival. Darn. I was leaning toward Edinburgh.

Oct 9th, 2002, 01:47 AM
Patricia

I just came back from Edinburgh and I think two days is more than enough to get around in the city. Try to get a side trip for your third day.