Loire chateaux travel

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:28 AM
Dan

Loire chateaux travel

My wife and I are going to be touring the Loire valley region next summer (2003). I would like to rent a car and stay at either a self-contained French gite or at a bed and breakfast in the region. Is it possible to stay in one place and drive to see the various chateaux or is it necessary to spend several days in one area and then set up "base" in another area in the Loire Valley? We are tired of moving from place to place when we travel and would much prefer to be centrally located in one place for a week or so.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:32 AM
Grasshopper

Dan, It absolutely is reasonable to stay in one place. Consider staying in a chateau. There are many recommended here. We stayed at Jallanges in Vouvray, near Tours. It was great. We drove all over the region. If you're starting in Paris, I recommend you TGV to Tours and rent the car there.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:07 PM
Diane

You can stay in one place and drive to the chateaux. We stayed near Blois in a manor house for four nights,
http://www.clenord.com/home.htm

It is not fancy, but has a great deal of charm. The proprietor was a lovely young woman who was very helpful. We had a charming (and affordable) room that was really two bedrooms, altogher about 700 square feet, with a large bathroom. It was the Suite Framboise. I had a queen size bed in one room, and my friend took one of the two single beds in the other room. All the rooms appeared nice.

For down time, they have a swimming pool.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:44 PM
Dayle

Hi Dan!

I think it depends on whether you mind a lot of backtracking. I stayed at Chateau de Chissay near Chennonceau for 4 nights & would have preferred to split it up with another town further south. I get tired of always driving back & forth & prefer more straight line travel. Packing & unpacking is a non-issue for me. I travel light.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:48 PM
StCirq

We've done a few trips to the Loire and prefer to do two bases - one in Amboise and one in Angers or Saumur. Going back and forth along that river road backtracking can get a bit stale. That said, it's certainly possible to have only one base. It also depends on how much time you plan to stay in the area.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:49 PM
Bob C

Interesting we did the same trip as Diane and stayed in the same chateau. Drove into the village each night to eat at des Trois Marchands. No problem in seeing 3 or more places a day. If example when we went to see the Chaterau Amboise (where Leonardo da Vinci is buried) we drove up to Blois and took the main road west. So you can get to an area and then head off on the smaller roads.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 06:49 AM
Rachelle

I will be traveling to the Loire valley in October and have been trying to decide which chateau to stay in. Has anyone stayed at Chateau Reaux?

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 12:07 PM
Camlec

We rented an old farmhouse near Loches for a week and drove around. It was self-contained and had access to a pool (a bonus in August!). Definitely a good way to see lots of a different region without living out of a suitcase for a week!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 02:27 PM
Dan

What was the name of the farmhouse?

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 05:28 PM
Mary Jo

Dan: We just returned last weekend from a trip to the Loire Valley. We stayed in Amboise at Le Manoir Les Minimes Hotel (breakfast $11E extra). Lovely hotel, fabulous, friendly staff. The hotel is in the shadow of Chateau Royal D'Amboise - easy stroll to chateau & downtown. For a little something different we rented bicycles (first class!)in Amboise and rode to Chenonceau the on to Sur La Chaumont and back to Amboise by 6pm. The bikes had locks so we had no trouble leaving them to tour the Chateaux. The next day we rented a car and drove to Chateau de Blois (a short drive) and to Chambord Chateau (magnificent!). The bike shop had excellent maps and directions and it was a delightful way to spend a day in the French countryside. Drivers seemed to be very careful of bikers. Also, the cost of visiting chateaux was about $6.50 euros, give or take $1E. Great place to stay, eat & tour. Have fun!