Search

Provence

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Provence

We will be in Provence in mid-May. We have located budget (very hard to find!) accomodations in St. Remy and recently I found a farmhouse with rooms on the river in Isle sur la Sorgue. Now I can't decide which location to choose. Can anyone help with info on either of these two towns? Thanks.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Both towns are quite nice. Most people would prefer St Remy - which has more restaurtants, cafes, shops, etc.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 12:26 PM

I like both these towns. A farmhouse sounds like you're not in the town of L'isle sur la Sorgue. I prefer to be within walking distance of restaurants (so I can have wine with dinner without worrying about driving). So I'd pick the closest-in accommodations.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 01:35 PM

I would basically lean towards St Remy, also, for the reasons mentioned. I don't see how a farmhouse can be right in Isle sur la Sorgue, so it must be around there somewhere. I stayed there once in the country a few miles north of there, and it's not so bad if you have a car and don't want to stay out late. I get nervous driving in the dark in an area I don't know. However, it gets dark a lot earlier in May than when I've been there in summer. My impression is that St Remy has better places to eat, though.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

I am curious as to why you do not think there is a farmhouse in Isle sur la Sorgue. The place is listed in the Rick Steve's Provence book, and he describes it as a farmhouse. What is Isle... like?
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:11 PM

l'Isle Sur la Sorgue is a medieval village surrounded by water - thus the name "island in the Sorgue" river. It is most famous for it's fabulous Sunday morning food/craft/antique market. We've visited tha market 15-20 times - and I can never pursuade my wife to skip it if we're in the area. It is a very picturesque village.

In France, if a house is in the area (domain) of a village/city/town, then it's listed as in the city. You won't find any chickens/cows/sheep in the "old" section of l'Isle sur la Sorgue.

Here is a web site for the town:
http://antiquite-islesursorgue.com/

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 07:17 PM

If you are talking about successfully getting a reservation at that amazing looking little farmhouse in the RS book, with the boats to borrow and a 15-minute walk to the town along the river, you are soooooo fortunate! (They were booked for the dates I wanted, later in the summer.)My original plan had been to stay there over the weekend (sigh!)and use the proximity to walk to the famous Sunday market. Is there a reason you can't go to both towns? You don't say how long you have, or if you will have a car...
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Both towns are beautiful!! I loved St Remy and the Tues mkt. Isla is a beautiful walking town. I stayed in Avignon and took day trips to all of the other towns but will stay in St Remy when I go again. Either one is a good choice. Enjoy Johanna
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the yellow house in the RS book. We will be in the area for one week, but our daughter will only be with us for 5 days. One night in Paris, one in Avignon, then pick the car up for Tues & Weds (we want to stay in one place w/her), then back to Avignon on Weds. so she can take the TGV back to Paris & Airport on Thursday. Stu, do you know Chateau de Roussan in St. Remy? That is where we currently have reservations.
thanks
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:03 AM

>>Stu, do you know Chateau de Roussan in St. Remy?<<

We stay in Gites while in Provence. However, when we were there in '99 it was my wife's 50th birthday. Several sets of friends joined us & had reservations at the Roussan. They thought the place was a little "shabby" on the inside, so they did not stay there & found rooms at the Mas de la Brune in Eygalieres - which they loved. These friends are very discriminating and usually stay at ********** hotels. On subsequent (but seperate) trips, each couple returned to the Mas de la Brune.

Note that the Roussan info is 8 years old now. I thought the property looked very nice - but we only saw the outside. Good location.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:37 AM

I find Château de Roussan still quite shabby... and it's not exactly a short walk into town from there.

The big market in St. Rémy is on Wednesday, btw - not Tuesday.

Patricia
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Usually a 15 minute walk into town means about a mile. If the custom is to claim a farmhouse is in a town when it is really in a surrounding area, fine, that explains it, but I've been in Isle sur la Sorgue and the town itself is not farmland.